Chapter Nine

Unsure if I were closer to freedom or my bitter end, each step I took made my heart beat faster

Unsure if I were closer to freedom or my bitter end, each step I took made my heart beat faster. Picking up a clean, nearby gurney, I maneuvered through passages with caution, making sure to avoid all the security hotspots I was informed of earlier. The place was as the doctor had said. There was an infinite number of passages, and, without knowledge of the building, you were bound to get lost. However, I managed to find my specific route due to a blood trail I had left behind while they rolled me away to the operating room.

Keypad after keypad, my heart tightened in fear of the worst as each door slid open to a world of unknown. So far into my mission to get Devlin, I had bumped into a bunch of demons and trolls wheeling a few bodies out from some nearby simulation chambers. The state of them was brutal. Some had their eyeballs gouged out, others had limbs missing, and the unfortunate few had their horns and face ripped off. It had been as if someone – no, something had feasted on them.

To say I was scared was an understatement, I was petrified. One wrong move and or suspicious glance, and I would be a goner. Recalling Devlin and my conversation earlier, my biggest fear was bumping into a Devil. With their unusual power of smell, I would be sniffed out in seconds.

But I have to do this, I told myself with each stride, I have to get the fuck out of here and go home.

After what felt like years of searching, I finally saw door number 69. However, I immediately paused when I saw it.

With olive kissed skin, the darker lady from earlier in all black toyed with her neon green hair. A second later, her deep red eyes caught my terrified brown ones. Fresh terror had reared up within me. Her stare was so intense I felt myself shrink under its weight.

"Oh, what do we have here?" she purred. "Did the little kitty get out of her cage?"

I tensed and got myself in a defensive formation, ready to fight back with all I had. "Well, what are you going to do about it then?"

She laughed, completely amused by my stance. "Oh nothing, kitty.  Would you calm down?"

"What?" I said with a cautious eye on her every movement. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Why not?"

Her thin mauve lips curled into a devious smirk. "Simple. That wouldn't be any fun at all, but I have to admit, Kitten. I'm just proud you made it this far, no one has ever gotten this close to escaping which ...."

"Which what?" I demanded. She was toying with me, and I didn't like it one bit.

"Which makes this all the more interesting, kitty cat," she finished as one of her long green locks slithered around her finger. "You want to know something else?"

I didn't say anything. I had no clue what she was up to. However, all I knew was that it made me perturbed.

It was as if she sensed my apprehension because she exploded into a cackle then jeered, "Don't trust me, kitten?"