Chapter Twenty Two

🎅A/N: MERRY CHRISTMAS! <3 🎅 Hope you all have a blessed day with your family and friends!

A few weeks of a lot of intense hard work had flown by, and I was finally able to walk, sprint, and even jump without the dreading fear of pain. For a normal human, it would be a miracle, but I had had some cheat codes. Firstly, I'm a half-demon and, secondly, I had the catalytic help of a shot of Devlin's blood. With those factors in mind, my healing processing remarkably quickened. However, with this stage of recovery completed came another more brutal one.

"Ready for some combat practice?" asked Dad as we walked down a passageway. Almost a month and a half in the palace, I still had no clue where we were going. Regardless, he had said I'd get used to it after a while longer.

Combat? I kept thinking to myself. Was I really ready for such?

Glancing back at me, he repeated himself. I was hesitant at first but eventually gave a nod. "I think so. Where are we headed?"

Dad responded with his infectious fatherly smile then said, "You'll see soon enough. It's just behind that door." As he led us down a hall, he pointed at this massive stainless-steel door that stretched up to the ceiling. When we were close enough to it, he pressed some numbers on the keypad next to it, and a loud 'beep' sound alerted us that we could go in. Dad went in first, then I, still reluctant, followed suit.

Upon entry, my jaw dropped. It was incredible.

From towering top to the floor beneath our feet, the triangular room was covered in stainless steel. Swords of all shapes and sizes were on a nearby rack that extended from wall to wall, and there were various guns on the shelf underneath them. In one corner was a shooting site; in another, a simulated combat area with holograms of multiple creatures; and then in the last one was a tall climbing wall with what looked like impossible-to-reach steppingstones. In the dead center was the largest boxing ring I had ever seen. This place was beyond my imagination.

"What is this place?" I asked Father, looking around with wide eyes. My mind was still comprehending what I was seeing.

"This," he started with a small, amused grin, "is one of the smaller demon and devil training rooms."

"Smaller? There's more?" I was taken back. This place was at least three football fields long and wide. The idea that there were more and bigger ones blew my mind.

"Of course, there are several demons and devils in the palace, and they're all trained for self-defense if we are ever attacked by an enemy."

Taking in his words, a question bubbled off my tongue. "How often does that happen? The attacks, that is."

"Rarely, we have the most advanced military in the Underworld," said a very familiar voice that was not my father's.

I turned around to see Estio. His hair gelled back; he wore a sleeveless tight crimson top and even tighter matching bottoms to show off his muscular build. His deep brown eyes found themselves on me, and, for a split second, a frown formed on his pinkish-caramel lips.