Chapter Twenty Four

The island was more than anything I imagined

The island was more than anything I imagined. Shaped like a massive infinity symbol, the divine and beauteous piece of land was adorned with emerald, lush vegetation, and beautiful white sandy beaches with just as magnificent clear, azure waters surrounding it. The picturesque view from the private jet was absolutely breathtaking; my jaw dropped.

A few chuckles came from behind me, and I found myself staring at Devlin, who was holding two glasses of white wine. He looked down at me with amusement as he passed me a glass, saying, "Like what you see?"

I nodded profusely. Like a little child with a big sweet tooth in a candy shop, I excitedly blurted out, "Wow. Who would've thought you could find heaven in the underworld?"

Hands on either side of the small window, I bring my body closer to the window and allow my eyes to wander back to the scenic resort we were about to explore. My body felt light. It was as if I was dreaming, and I never wanted to wake up.

"You're so cute." 

My eyes widened; I was taken aback by what I had just heard. "What did I just hear? Devlin, did you say -"

"I-it's so cool. I said the scene is so cool," he stammered. He was sitting across from me now with rosy cheeks, looking askance. Before I could say anything else, he cleared his throat and then continued, "I knew you'd like it. It's a very special place with a lot of history, and I hope you get to experience some of it with me - and relax, of course."

"History?" I beamed. "I would love to learn about your family - obviously - since you're technically the royal family of my kingdom. Anyway, even if you weren't, I'm honestly honored to be here. Never in my life would I dream of being here with a good friend."

His cheeks reddened even more as he said, "Yeah, hopefully, our relationship can grow a little more while we're here."

I don't know why, but that sentence prompted a small but sincere smile on my lips. This side of him was nice to see. The more relaxed side of him, that is.

It reminded me of the time at the festival. We competed for the title of the best game player by seeing how many toys each of us collected. He won by a good margin but, surprisingly, gave me his toys instead at the end. Our time there was spent with spontaneous laughter, teasing remarks, and the pure enjoyment of each other's company. I never knew how wholesome it was to have someone you could trust with all your heart. The only thing that bothered me were the prying eyes...

Now that I look back at it, we garnered a lot of attention there. There were a multitude of expressions. Some were of awe and excitement, while others were of green-eyed jealousy or unfathomable distaste, and I do wonder if it was because of how undeniably gorgeous Devlin was. I may be oblivious, but even I knew my friend was exceptional eye candy.