Chapter Twenty Five

🎅A/N: Hey Guys! There's a little extra love in this chapter

🎅A/N: Hey Guys! There's a little extra love in this chapter. <3

It had been thirty minutes, and we had all found ourselves in some fancy lounge area. Crystal chandeliers hung above Devlin as he sat next to Lucifer while, right across, Manfred and I sat with Estio standing by my side. Before the awkwardness and quietude could thieve me of my sanity, I decided to ask the question everyone else was too scared to even mutter, "Um, so why are you here, again?"

Some nearby demons in maid attire locked eyes with me; they were begging me to stop. However, that just confused me even more. "What? Can't I ask a question?"

Estio, as always, interrupted me and scolded, "There's a hierarchy when it comes to who speaks to royal devils. Demons are lower than devils, so you must seek permission from my highness and the great Devil of Devils to speak."

"Fuck your royal hierarchical crap and etiquette shit!" I snapped, flashing him the erection of my middle finger. An entertained smirk slipped through Devlin's lips as I turned to Lucifer and demanded, "Look here, Mr. Satan. Anytime I read a book with you in it, chaos ensues as well. So, why are you here because we want some peace and quiet?"

"Can't I just visit my fellow inhabitants?" Lucifer sighed with a tilted head. "It's been a while since I've said hi."

"No, you can't," I averred, appalling all the servants. Their gasps filled the air, one of them even fainted, but I paid no mind to them.

None of this made any sense. Why would the king of hell himself be in our presence? There was absolutely nothing here. Maybe Devlin? But even he admitted he hadn't been down here for roughly a decade, so — ugh! Nothing was worthy of his interest here.

Unless he came for...

I gulped. Goosebumps raided my skin like a viral infection when the following words came out of his mouth:

"Feisty now, are we? But you have an idea why I'm here." Amusement laced each word as he stared at me. He crossed his legs and then went on: "Rumors of a demi-demon of Iram have caused quite a ruckus in the underworld lately. They've been so loud that they've ended up in my domain."

"Your domain? You mean hell?" I asked; he nodded his head. I was dumbfounded. "Wait, this place isn't hell?"

I knew my geography of the underworld was shit. However, I didn't know it was that futile. It was at that moment that I realized books in the human world were utter garbage when it came to the afterlife.

"Not entirely; it is a smaller fraction of it. My headquarters, Gehenna, is much bigger than the underworld. However, there are reasons for its size." I urged him to continue, and he gladly complied: "There, we torture sinful humans who are caught by my guards roaming the underworld. Unless they're fortunate enough to have been eaten by a devil, a demon, or a troll."