Chapter Seventeen

Hand in hand, we pushed the great black gates open to a hall of royals

Hand in hand, we pushed the great black gates open to a hall of royals. Creatures of all forms and magnitudes in magnificent ballgowns and suits filled the grand room. Most danced in the busy center, while others congregated in the outskirts enjoyed the food and other forms of entertainment like the fantastic performance of the circus artists, the showcase of the dancers, and the music of the orchestra. Streaks of golden gems fell from the ceiling like falling stars as the marbled floors stretched to the giant walls. The decoration was sublime. The sound of the music was so enchanting it almost lured you to the dancefloor. It was like those fairytales I was told as a child; the whole scene made your heart flutter.

Devlin took the first step and guided me past a few straying eyes. I felt awkward. I had never been that good with attention from a young age.

Devil Boy reassured me, "They are just staring because you look amazing Jules."

"It's the dress." I mean, even I was stunned by it at first glance.

"Well, I think otherwise." He shrugged.

"That's a surprise."

He cocked a brow. "What is?"

"You think," I commented before pulling out a quick tongue. He softly nudged me, and I burst out into laughter. I was going to miss moments like this. Just being with someone with who I could truly be myself. I never really had much of the experience growing up.

Before I realized it, we were on the dancefloor, and Devlin was swaying me to and fro to the melody. He spun me for a second and let my dress flare out like a blooming rose, then he guided me back into his arms, and we both burst out in giggles.

"Want to share some secrets?" I suggested as he twirled me into his arms for a second time. "One soft one and one hard truth."

He caught me in his arms and laughed, "Sure. You go first."

"Okay, I can't say the word 'specific' or any words with the letter 'S' in them. So, when I do have to say them, I speak really fast, so people don't catch on."

His eyes brightened up with excitement as he teased, "Aw. Does little Jules have a lisp?"

I suddenly wanted the ground to swallow me, chew me up, and spit me out. "Yes, now shut up unless you want my fist in your mouth."

He cocked back his head and bubbled a laugh. I softly kicked him in the shin as we did some cha-cha steps.

"Stop laughing, and tell me yours, Devil Boy," I demanded before whispering, "Pretty please."

"Because you said please, I'm going to go straight into the deep stuff."

"How daring," I teased. Deep down, my heart was racing. I felt like I knew what was coming next, and it did.

"I used to have a sister. She was murdered here some decades ago. Her name was Jules too," he confessed, averting his attention to our dancing feet. "And you remind me a lot of her, so I wanted to apologize if I came off as overprotective at any point. By protecting you, I feel like I'm protecting her..."