Chapter Sixteen

If there was one thing I had learned about party-crashing from college is that you never come on time

If there was one thing I had learned about party-crashing from college is that you never come on time. So, we were at the scene a good two hours after the Great Ball had started. And a splendid scene it was.

Instead of a typical castle, the enormous land of 300 acres was composed of three massive stone and glass mansions. The smallest – if I can even use that word -- made of silvery and white glass was, according to Devlin, where the workers like housemaids and groundsmen lived. Encompassed by bushes of crimson and silver roses and some streamlets from the main pool, the second-largest building of glass and stone was used as the guesthouse. Surrounded by the main pool of the clearest blue waters I had ever witnessed was the main mansion. As large as a palace, the grandeur of a home greeted you with its giant Romanian pillars and sheer and modern glassy and brick design. With the thick forestry as its background, the warm yellow lights illuminated the place to exude a honey-glazed hue of gold and other glistening yellows. The whole place was architectural excellence at its highest caliber.

"One family lives there?" Manny asked, sounding about as awestruck as my gawking self was.

Loading Manny's car with our supplies, Devlin scoffed, "Yeah, but my family's castle is much bigger and has a better design if you ask me."

"Yeah, we didn't." I broke away from the scene to face him and snapped, "Can't we appreciate anything here without you bringing it down."

Devlin ignored me then shut the car's trunk. "Whatever, we're ready. Let's go."

With a roll of my eyes, Manny and I followed Devlin into the vehicle. Devil Boy driving, I called shotgun first and got to sit in the front passenger's seat while the teen sulked in the back.

"So, we got everything? Everyone remembers their roles?" I asked the two men in the car.

"Yeah, and yes," grunted Manfred with frustration. "If we go to prison this time, I doubt Grandpa will bail me out a second time. So, I'm counting on you Mr. Royally Loaded."

Both me and Devlin looked at each other before he asked, "You've been to prison before? What for?"

Manny twisted his wrist then calmly replied, "I broke into my ex's dad's old place and lit his home on fire. Nothing that interesting."

Just great. Now I have an arsonist to worry about.

"Well, you dare burn anything here, and you'll wish you were in prison once I am done with you," I threatened him with a fist to the face. He didn't flinch. Then, again with his dead eyes, it was hard to tell if he had any emotion at all.

We arrived at the two large black gates, and I couldn't help but feel uncomfortable as they reminded me of how I got into the Underworld in the first place. A guard stepped out from one of the booths and approached our vehicle. I motioned to the boys to remain calm as I was the one who was going to do all the talking.