Chapter Twenty One

The following day was the hardest one yet

The following day was the hardest one yet. With a trembling and sweaty hand on either rail, I pulled myself up for the third attempt. It wasn't till that moment that I realized the severity of my injuries. My chubby legs shook from overwhelming weakness as I struggled to carry my weight. Each step I took burned with pain, but I had to do it. The goal was to get me back on my own two feet.

"Come on Julane, you got this!" called Devlin from the other end of the rails. "Come on now. Just one step at a time." Devil Boy had finished his duties early and had decided to come and be my support for my first physical therapy session.

With another deep breath, I mustered enough strength to take another couple of steps. The pain became unbearable at that stage, and I could slowly feel myself fall under its intense pressure. Regardless, I somehow found the strength to make it to the other side and fell into his arms. Firm, his grip was tight enough to hold me but not hurt me.

Rubbing my arms, he lifted me and carried me to the wheelchair. As he did so, a small smile slipped onto his lips. "I'm so proud of you."

"Yeah, well, that hurt like a bitch," I confessed to him, trying to regain my normal breathing pattern. I laid my throbbing head on his chest as he gently placed me on my mode of transport. "How many times a day do I have to do this?"

"As much as you're capable," he replied. "However, I was advised you practice three times a day to quicken the recovery process."

I thought it would be better I went at my own pace. "Sure, but I think we should be realistic with my ability."

He nodded, then proceeded to roll me out of his personal gym. As he wheeled me along, a phone started buzzing. Curious, I turned around and saw he had already answered it.

"Hey Estio, what is it?" he spoke into the device. He listened intently for a few minutes, then exploded into a huge grin. "Already? That's great news. I'll let her know."

I poked his stomach and mouthed, "What is it?"

He cut the call and returned the phone into his jean's pocket. "Some very special people are waiting for you."

Special people, huh? At that moment, I couldn't recall anyone in particular. As we made it down the several passages, I wondered who they were.

XXX

"Mum!" I screamed as she enveloped me into her warm arms. Nearing tears, I hugged her so tight. "I missed you so much!" I was so overcome with happiness; tears immediately began flowing. For years I hated crying in front of her. But, this time around, I didn't care. I was just overjoyed and relieved to be in her presence.

Weeping, she pulled away, and that was when I finally saw it. With bloodshot eyes, she had heavy eyebags that indicated she hadn't had much decent sleep for weeks. Regardless, she still managed to work up a smile. She examined every part of my body before cupping my face and sobbing, "My poor baby, I'm so s-sorry. I'm just so sorry. Are you feeling better? Have you been resting enough?"