Chapter Fourteen

A few hours into our travel, we decided to rest at a motel to gain some energy for the next day

A few hours into our travel, we decided to rest at a motel to gain some energy for the next day. To my surprise, Devlin began opening up to Everett – the warlock just had the comforting and trustworthy effect on people. They had become so close in such a short amount of time that Devil Boy had admitted to him that he was a runaway.

"So, you need to get home, and you're thinking the Great Ball is the only way out?" Everett held a serious look that I had never seen before as he sat on the chair in front of us.

"Yes." "Yeah." Devlin and I spoke simultaneously with lumps in our throats.

My nerves were starting to get the better of me. I was sure a massive lecture was about to come our way. So, I tensed for the worst.

"That sounds like so much fun!" sang Everett, shocking the two of us troublemakers on the couch across him.

Devlin's shoulders relaxed. "Phew! You think so?"

"Of course, now I wish I could ditch that dump of a convention," he groaned before explaining, "It's full of basic witches talking crap about one another and them showing off their latest creations, to be honest."

It reminded me of all the prissy rich kids at my university. So, I screwed my face in disgust and asked him, "So, why are you even going then?"

"I'm going to earn my witches' credits so that I can still be certified."

"Oh," said Devlin and I as we digested his words. I still would have ditched if I were in his shoes, but who would trust my judgment with all the choices I had made the past week.

With a cross of legs, Everett sat upright in his seat and questioned, "About the potion you needed earlier, is that to mask your scent so other devils won't sniff you out?"

I nodded. "Yeah, that's right. I need to blend in as much as possible without being a threat."

"I see..." he trailed off, thinking about something.

After much time, Devlin broke his train of thought with a sharp, "Is something bothering you?"

Everett shook his head. "I just feel you'll need more than that since you'll be surrounded by the highest level of devils."

I cocked a brow. "Like what?" Though silent, Devlin was invested in the conversation too.

Everett pulled himself off his seat and made his way to his small briefcase. He lifted it to his ear, shook it, then smiled with content as if he found what he was looking for. Sauntering his way to the coffee table between us, he dropped the bag open on it. Out from it popped a massive eight feet rack with an array of different weaponry. From daggers and machetes to pistols and full-on assault rifles, he had everything in the bag.

My jaw dropped. "Everett! Where did you get all of this?"

He just shrugged. "I'm a collector of daggers and other forms of ammunition, and passing Ashlin City, I came prepared." The man had enough ammo to be a standalone army.