Chapter Ten

A light above our heads flickered in a spasmodic fashion as my heartbeat began picking up its pace

A light above our heads flickered in a spasmodic fashion as my heartbeat began picking up its pace. Fear had struck my nerves; I was on high alert.

I took a step back before asking, "What did you say?"

He gulped before repeating himself, "I need some of your blood."

"And if I don't give you?" I said, "Will you eat me like the others?"

He froze. "W-who told you?"

"That doesn't matter," I retorted, taking another step away from him and towards the tray of utensils. I didn't know his intentions and was not going to wait to find out.

"Listen you don't understand," he started.

Unfortunately for him, I wasn't having any of it. I snapped, "Don't understand what? That you lied to me?" Devlin took a step in my direction, and I swiped the scalpel and threatened him with it. "Dare take a step closer, and I'll sculpt you like these assholes on the floor."

He exhaled then took a footstep back before calmly stating, "Firstly, I'm a devil of royal blood. It will take more than a puny knife and your mediocre combat skills to take a fraction of me down." As if tired of dealing with me, he then sat on the operating table behind him, folded his arms then elucidated, "I need some of your blood to get energized. I don't think you know but I'm more than the average Devil and that's why they starved me here. They were scared of me, as they should have, to be honest."

Baffled by his stupidity, I started questioning his debate skills. "How the fuck is this suppose to help you?"

"It's not." He sighed again then said, "Let me tell you the truth. I hadn't eaten someone for almost two years since I ran away from home. So, my powers were at their lowest strength when they kidnapped me. Those I was stuck with here were dying from hunger; they hadn't eaten for weeks, and instead of them getting cut up, they asked me to take their lives, so they didn't suffer such a nasty fate."

"That was probably easy for you, wasn't it?" I spat on the floor near his shoes. "You disgust me."

"Easy? Do you think I murder people for a living? I'm not my father!" He yelled with so much force the floor beneath my feet shook and I nearly tripped. He took a deep breath in and out before talking to me in a much calmer tone, "You aren't the only one who had to kill people with their own bare hands the first time. Anyway, in the beginning, I was resistant. However, after days of their relentless begging, I complied, bid them farewell, and took their lives. Regardless, that wasn't easy for me, Jules." His fists tightened into trembling balls as he bit his lip and suppressed his tears.

I felt a pang of sudden guilt when it dawned on me that he had given up part of his morale, just as I had, to survive. 

"I'm sorry, but I have to protect myself, and giving you my blood, with my anemia, will leave me too weak to stand on my own two feet," I explained to him.