Bone Quill

Dear Diary,
This is a mental note.
I'm headed to see the king. I don't know who else was invited and I've no idea why. But hopefully it's good news. My heart feels like it's going to punch through my chest.
Mother always told me to look my best for royalty. I hope my gown isn't too much. Maybe if I look my best he'll reconsider sentencing me to prison.
God give me strength. I'll need it.
Until next time,
~ Rose Grantz

The carriage pulled into the castle gates. The palace looked more eerie at night and gave off a depressing air. I peered out the window and noticed no one else has arrived. Hmm.. I'm early I assume.

The butler from the ball helped me out my carriage once again. This time he didn't welcome me or spin his hand. I admit I was slightly disappointed.

Once I finished climbing the stairs both large castle doors opened wide to let me in.

"Woah~" it didn't look like this before. The chandelier was hanging low and dimmed the walls carefully with light. Black drapes hung on the arches of the ceiling and drooped low to the floor. They glittered like the night sky. Candles lit in every far corner. This room looks much bigger without all those people in it.

"Welcome." Startled I spun around quickly to see who'd spoken. I gasped to see it was king Vince. "I hope the journey wasn't stressful for you." He wore an all black suit. A large brown bear skin clasped tightly to his shoulder.

I cleared my throat and finally spoke. "Thank you, your highness. It was no trouble at all." I curtsied quickly then stood straight again, folding my hands in front of me. "Your home is lovely."

"It was my fathers." His raspy deep voice lingering in the air as he spoke. He began slowly walking down the stairs.

"I-it would seem the other guests have not yet arrived, your majesty." God, stop stuttering you fool!

He seemed to smirk at my comment. But why? What was so amusing? "Rose, was it?" I nodded in response. Vince was face to face with me. 10 seconds of silence felt so miserable.

His face was so tired and sharp. His skin was pale and his cheek bones very prominent. He's much scarier up close in person.
His hand reached out to me and he asked, " Can I ask you to dance with me?" I hesitated in my response but decided to give him my hand. Who would refuse to dance with the king!!

Loud music began and he pulled me to the dance floor.

His hand wrapped along my waist as he lead me along the floor. His footwork was so graceful and elegant. He stared down at me while we spun in this enormously empty room. Aside from the band playing we were the only two people in the room.

We've been dancing for a while yet no one has walked through those doors. Did he even invite anyone else? I tripped over his leg and he grunted in what seemed to be irritation. "I'm so sorry!"

"No need to apologize. Is your mind somewhere else tonight?"

I felt my face heat up and subconsciously hid my face to keep from embarrassing myself. Vince gently but firmly grasped my chin and fixed my eyes on his. "What's the matter, miss Rose?" His voice is so deep and smooth. It never seems to leave my mind.

"It's just that- well no one else seems to be arriving."

Vince leaned in closer to my face and pressed my body closer to his. "I didn't ask anyone else to come. It's just you and I tonight." My breath hitched. My heart jumped. But not in that kind of way. More of a scared and full of anxiety kind of way. What does he mean just us?

Should I leave? What would he do if I left right now?

Without warning he spun me around quickly and snaked his arm back around my waist, pulling me much closer then before. My chest was tight against his and worry flooded my mind. What's going to happen to me?

"Did I tell you how absolutely stunning you look tonight?"
It's getting way too hot in here. I gulped and tried to speak but almost nothing came out. "Thank you your highness but that is not necessary." His long dark hair hung over his face. His eyes were admittedly stunning. One could get lost in them. But I am spoken for. I am to be married soon.

"I wonder how you managed to find one of the guest rooms when you were completely lost from alcohol." Oh no!

I pulled away from him quickly and bowed. "Please forgive me. I did not know I was there. I do not even recall what happened the rest of that night nor how I got there. But I swear it will never happen again." It's best to not mention the necklace.

His body shuffled for a second before holding something out for me to see. "Did you come back for this?"
In his gloved hand sat my ruby necklace. I was speechless. How did he know? I reached my hand out to it and he snatched my wrist. I gasped in surprise and the look on his face seemed to be contempt. "Your majesty? Please.. let go." It took all of my strength not to shout or cry or both. I was both furious and scared out of my mind.

"Who's the man you came with during the coronation?" Confusion must've displayed on my face. "I'm losing my patience- who is he?"

"- my fiancé!" He was quiet. A little too quiet. But why does he care. He let go of my wrist and stepped back from me. My wrist hurt from his grip. Vince shoved his hand with my necklace in my direction and told me to take it. "Leave.."

He turned his back and didn't look back at me. I sped away as fast as possible. The carriage was waiting outside for me. I hopped in quickly and left the castle. My jewels still hanging in my hands. Relief filled me. I could finally relax.

Vince

I stormed to my chambers and slumped in my sofa. Her scent still lingered in my mind. Her voice quivered when she was nervous and that for some reason exited me. I felt her heart beating against my chest rapidly.

Her voice won't get out of my head. "My fiancé" echoed in my mind. She's getting married?? To that bastard!! I put my hands on my head. I tried to think and calm down but rage began to fill me. I shouted and flipped my table. "Alfred!!"

"Yes, your majesty."

"Send a letter."