Glass tears

Gabriel...
        Gabriel...
               Gabriel...

My vision is in a swirl
   A purple haze surrounds me
      I see him! His golden hair! Piercing blue eyes... I reach out my hand- I can't move? My feet are melded to the ground. Gabriel? I hear him. His voice. He called out to me. "Rose! Rose!"
Gabriel! I'm coming! But I-I can't move! No! Gods no! Please, no! A strange black figure came from behind Gabriel. Took him by the arm and plunged a knife into his belly. I tried to scream. Nothing came out. Blood poured from his stomach and dropped out the corners of his mouth. Gabriel!!! I screamed his name as he fell to the floor lifeless.

I gasped and sucked in the cold morning air. My cheaks were cold with tear stains. I looked up at the ceiling protecting me from the rain and sighed. I could hear the sound of da cooking down stairs. But no way am I telling anyone about this.

What if I endanger my family? How could I live with myself? I wipe my forehead to find it's a bit wet from moving in my sleep. That dream has tussled me. The air in this crowded home feels hot.

So I run the bath and soak in the warm water. As I sat in the tub I thought back to my encounter with the king. He... planned for us to be.. a-alone? But I refused him! My heart began racing. Ah- don't be silly rose. If he was angry you'd be in prison by now.. o-or worse..

Then Gabriel flashed in my mind. My heart panged. I clutched my chest. I felt my face frown unwillingly. As tears trickled down my wet cheeks I gasped in pain and cried out. No! He can't be gone!

How could they do this to me? We were to be married soon.. as I wailed I remembered his glorious smile. The warmth of his skin. His husky voice whispering seductively in my ear making promises for the night of our marriage. But now I'll never get to see him again. Because they took him! Anger began to rise in my body like a flame. I screamed aloud and stood in the tub. I took a vase of wilted daisies and tossed it as hard as I could. Making it clash and shatter to the floor.

Mother swung open the door ready to shoot. She had a handheld gun in her grasp. Once she saw I was alone and the flowers had been damaged she lowered the weapon and looked into my eyes.

"Rose?" She asked delicate and carefully. "Is everything alright?"

"Mummy" I whimpered and reached out my arms. "I want to see him.." she swung her arms open and embraced me not caring that I was soaking wet. "I'm sorry dear. Oh, I know. Come here. Mother's gotcha." I sobbed in her shoulder. I'm so glad I have my mom. Where would I be without her.

••••••••

I'm wearing a silk everyday dress to stay comfortable. It has buttons and warm sleeves. It's a nice shade of dark blue and is very soft to the touch.  I was sitting at the park looking at the great collection of flowers that surrounded me. The wind nipped at my cheeks but the sun kept me warm. I stared at two monarch butterflies batting there wings together as they sipped pollen from the tulips. I watched them fly with my puffy red eyes.

A tear slid down my face as I thought about it. "Ello?"

I blinked into focus as I heard an unfamiliar voice. I looked up to see a well dressed man. Is he speaking to me? "May I help you?"

"Yes, ma'am I was wondering if you could spare me some of your time?"  He was rather tall. His black hair was faded and curled just at the top. 

"I'd love to help, sir, but I'm not feeling much for conversation."

"No worries ma'am. I can see you are mourning. But may I ask a favor?"

He was pretty cheery and I felt quite comfortable around him. "I suppose."

"Well! I am going from person to person to sign my petition!"

"A petition?"

"Of course! Ma'am? What is your opinion on how people choose to love?"

Ow- I felt like I'd been stabbed. "E-everyone should love how they want. It's only fair we get to choose who we're happiest with."

"Precisely! My name is Omen McNeil, and I represent the right to be romantically involved with whomever you may choose!"

"Oh this is quite a wonderful idea. Pardon my absent enthusiasm. I have been crying for some time now. But where shall I sign?"

He slid a book beside me and gifted me a quill. "If you don't mind, sign here please." I inked my name into the parchment and handed him back his book. "I wish you the best of luck, sir."

"And I you! Perhaps we'll meet again? On more joyous circumstances." We smiled and went with our lives. He was very lively. I tilted my head to the sun, closed my eyes and took in a ragged breath of air. I pulled out my very own book. My diary. I began dipping my quill in my ink and placed my hand in writing position.

I'm frozen. What do I write? Subconsciously I etched Gabriel's name into the pages. Then wrote 'I love you' I smiled sadly and continued. "I miss you. Please come back. Don't leave me. Don't let me be alone"

What am I doing? Is anyone investigating this? Someone was sent to kill a man in the troops he was working in. Did they catch the wrong guy and was stopped before he could try again?

It's obvious that he was an assassin of some kind. He wasn't wearing the enemies standard uniform. I'll have to go to the authorities. Someone was meant to be slain and my Gabriel got in the way. I will avenge you! Your death will not go in vein!