Stained Glass

I was walking down the sidewalk to feel the cool air. I needed to be calm if I was going to figure this out. And I can't walk into the guard barracks with puffy eyes and a runny nose.

I don't know how well the police can help me but I have to try at the very least. Suddenly I felt jolted as my dress has snagged under something. Presumably a cracked rock. "Well, we'll. Looky who it is. It's the little mutt." I tuned a firey gaze at the familiar voice. It was Keil. And not without his dumb brother, Brent.

"Excuse you!" I tugged at my now stained dress that was caught under Keils shiny black shoes. "I do hope you plan to pay for the damage."

"Nah, it was like that before I got here." He smugged as he said sarcastically.

"Nonetheless. I don't want your company. Now go back to whatever hovel you call home."  Brent grabbed my wrist.

"You'll finally pay for that smart mouth of yours!" I snatched my hand away and tan across the street. Avoiding carriages and almost being hit by one. But Brent and his brother are part of the authorities now. What am I going to do?!

I turned a corner down the street. I saw behind me that they weren't too far behind. Shoving poor pedestrians down to get to me. The man directing traffic had made a way for me to go. Not in purpose of course. But it was just in time. All the carriages had stopped moving and it was safe for me to go.

"There!" I heard Keil just a few feet back pointed in my direction. Without hesitation I darted out in the street. I checked behind me but they were getting closer! Oh Gods! I was running out of breath. I clashed into a firm chest. "Oi!"

I looked up to see it was the man from earlier. "Fancy meeting you here!" Said Omen. "I'm sorry there's no time!" I rushed out the way. Omen saw who I was running from and grasped my arm. I looked back at him confused. "This way!"

Guess I had no choice. He took me up the road. We ran fast to get away from those blithering idiots. "Down here! There's a hidden passage." Omen led me into an alley and hid behind some ladders. "Shh" he put a finger to his lips. He pointed at a worn poster. It was quite dirty and almost took up the entire wall.

"I saw her go down this way!" Omen and I pressed our backs to the wall standing still as statues. "You're and idiot, you know that?" Brent could be heard shouting at Keil. "Why do you always have to start things, Brent?"

"If you'd just grab her when I did she'd be in the jails by now!"

"Brent?... how do you suppose we'll get away with all this if we keep her in a jail cell? Won't the others be... watching?"

There voices began to fade as they walked away. But I could hear what Brent was going to say.

"This is why I'm the smart one. Because we're gonna tell the others that she's being transferred. And we're gonna take her to the back an shoot her in the head." I gasped. But they'd moved too far away to hear me. Omen dusted a spot on the poster and looked at me concerned. But took in a breath and pulled open a door. Dust fell to the floor as the once poster was now a hidden dusty door to an underground club. We stepped i side and closed the door and finally breathed in.

"Are you okay?" Omen's deep voice was soothing and caring.
"Oh just some childhood enemies, is all."

I looked around. We were in a dark hall. It was faintly lit from flashing colorful lights in the distance. And drunken chanting was heard from afar. "Where are we?"

"Miss, before we go any further I must ask you... not to tell anyone. It's.. uh.. illegal to openly show affection to your partner if they're of the same sex."

"This is a club?"

"We'll sort of but please! This is our only way of being happy. Until it's legalized we can't meet anywhere else without risking jail time." He pleaded with his eyes. And without hesitation I agreed. "My lips are sealed." I smiled and he looked relieved.

We followed the dark hall into a wide room of drunk men and women singing and partying. Omen helped me get a seat at a round table with other people. Presumably his friends.

"Hello, friends!" Omen sat beside me and another man. He was rather skinny and a salmon colored scarf kept his neck warm. "Everyone I'd like you to meet my new friend. This is- uh.." he looked to me realizing he hadn't got my name. "Rose! My name is Rose Grantz. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Rose! Well Rose this here beside me is Quinn. Across from us is Desiree and Agatha. These are all my friends."

Agatha had black hair and wore very dark makeup. Desiree has dark red curly hair and freckles all around her face and arms. Agatha looked to me and popped out a random question. "Are you of the female persuasion?" I was silent. But everyone looked to me for an answer. "U-uhm I am not."

"Omen, what's she doing here? She could be a cop!" Quinn and Desiree looked scared. "She's not! She was being chased by those goons that try to outsmart us."

She smacked her hand at the table. "How do you know she's not working for them!" Her voice was loud. I gulped. I now felt like and outsider. Like I was the only one in the room not dressed properly for the ball.

"She signed to book.."
Agathas dark brown eyes stared at me for a long time. She finally sighed and relaxed in her chair. She pulled Desiree to her side and kissed her hard on the cheek. Then looked at me again with a warning in her eyes.

I wouldn't think twice about crossing her. She makes me think she carries a sharp dagger around.