Absence, love

Rose:

Oh God, what have I done!
I've left the king without saying a word. I feel like I've fled away from a crime. Why do I feel so guilty?

So many thoughts whirled in my mind. I'm still shaking from the adrenaline. Okay, breath...

The king of Iridan invited me to his castle to dance?? If no one else was expected to arrive then that means he only sent the letter... to me?

The question is why? No, there's no way the king- THE FRICKEN KING- would grow feelings for me? He would marry a princess from another kingdom. It doesn't benefit him to court a mere lowly daughter of such poor wealth.

So what's his game? He must want something. But I have nothing compared to him. It just doesn't make sense. I can't tell anyone about this. They won't believe me.

Once the carriage had arrived at my home, I tipped the man and tried sneaking inside. Lucky I brought a key. Carefully, I held the key inside the door handle. Maybe if I slowly turn the knob-
"Rose?"
I froze. Oh, no! Please don't be dad- pleeaassee!!!

"Rose? What are you doing out there? Get inside, hurry up!" A breath of relief filled my lungs. It was only Nick.

"Mum and da thought you'd gone to bed early."

"Did you tell them?" Nick was quiet but why?

But oh dear it seems that he did. "Nick! Tell me you didn't."
After a long silence he finally responded. "No, your secret is safe with me."

Goodness, Nick might very well be the death of me. I hugged my brother then quickly hustled inside.

The next few nights I couldn't stop thinking about what happened. His smell was still lingering in my nose. As much as I hate it, it was intoxicating. His perverted grin smiled behind my eyelids whenever they were shut. The way his eyes traced my body was shivering. I feel uncomfortable.

The next morning I was awoken by Luke breathing on my cheek. "Oh, Luke what's the matter?" I groaned. His big brown eyes peering down at me.

"Mum told me to come check on you. Thinks you're sick."
Gently pushing him away I sat up and leaned my elbow behind me. "I'm fine, Luke. Go get some breakfast."

"Breakfast was served hours ago."

"What?"I jumped out of bed, put my hair up and threw on a robe. I ran downstairs to see my father reading the daily news. "Oh finally up are you?"

"Good-..." what time is it exactly?

"Past twelve, dear. Good afternoon."

"Yes.. good afternoon."

"My, Rose, are you feeling well? You slept through breakfast."

"I'm fine, thanks. I just... had a bad dream. That's all."

He put the paper flat on the table and looked at me. "There's a letter from the troops for you." Oh! It must be Gabriel!

Hopping into the kitchen I snatched the paper off the desk. There are two letters. One is from Gabriel. Oh how he makes my stomach flutter. I'll read his first.

My dearest Rose,
It has been a long journey into these trees. We were almost taken at nightfall when we set up our camp. But the captain knows what he's doing.
I can't wait to see you again. I hope once I've come home you will embrace me in your warm arms.

Yours truly, Gabriel B.

As much as I worry for him, I know he can handle himself. There is another note in the same package. He must have had more he wanted to say.

Rose,
Something is off. I saw the captain take a note from the courier. He looked at me with the strangest expression.
I don't know what's going on but I have a bad feeling. I think there's something he's not telling us. I hope I'm just being paranoid. I haven't had a decent meal in a few days. No good rest either.
Yeah.. well, I promise I'll be home soon. Once we catch these bandits I'll be on the next horse to you. Then we'll have the best wedding ever.
Love Gabriel B.

That letter was a bit odd. I guess he was just stressed from the journey. But he'll be fine. I'm sure he'll pull through.

The next letter read: To Rose Grantz
The parchment was yellow with some numbers on it. Why is my chest beating?

I ripped the paper open and read the tiny note.

Dear Rose Grantz,
During battle Gabriel Bronze was slain by enemy forces.
They overtook the camp and killed half our men. Gabriel was a strong hero indeed. He lead men with a secret attack that worked brilliantly. But a hidden man from behind a tree snuck up to Gabriel and stabbed him in the back.
Oddly enough, this man was not wearing the same clothes as the enemy. He seemed to be from a different organization.
The killer was slain and justice was served.

I couldn't read the rest. There's no way that Gabriel was murdered. It can't be. My face felt hot. My vision is going black. What is this knot in my chest. I can't breath.

I heard something behind me. It sounds like an echo. But who's voice is it? Why does it sound like I know them?

I opened my eyes and I saw the ceiling. I'm on my bed? How did I get here? "Rose?" Nick, Luke, Charlie, mom and dad were sitting beside me. "How did I get here?"

"Oh dear, you fell." Mums hand was on her chest like she was trying to control her breathing. "Fell?"

"You read the letters then fainted. Gave us all quite the scare." Dad wiped his four head with a cloth and hugged his wife.

Letters?... the letters! Shock ran through my body. Gabriel! Oh God is he really dead? I felt tears running down my face. Is my Gabriel really gone?

Everyone rushed over and loaded me with hugs. Apparently they all read the letter. They seemed upset as well.

This all seems so unreal. Something isn't right. A man in different clothing killed my fiancé. I'll get to the bottom of this. I will avenge your death, Gabriel.