Inkwell of blood

Rose

Since today is the departure outside the kingdom and Gabriel had to go, I kissed him and waved goodbye. "I can't bear to see you leave, my love."

"I will be back soon. You can count on it." Gabriel kisses my hand and rode away on his horse.

All the able men were called to help find a bandit hiding outside the kingdom walls. The kingdom is quite a big place so it takes about four days just to circle around on horse.

It might take him weeks to finally return home. I miss him already....

A courier strode up to our home and handed me a stiff black note. "Thank you." I gave the man three gold bits and he rushed away. Immediately upon looking at the lettering I saw that the words were written in red ink. Curiously, the letter was delivered to me specifically. I eagerly opened the parchment and read aloud to myself;

"To miss Rose Grantz of Grantz Mannor:
You are cordially invited to The Red Palace
at sunset today. No guest are to accompany you."

I couldn't stop staring at the letter. Questions and confusion swirled in my mind. Why invite people to the palace only two weeks after the coronation? And why invite only me in my home? Wasn't he pleased with my family? What if it's bad?!

Panic then lit up in my chest. What if I were to be executed!!
Oh, silly rose... that's preposterous. You've never broken the law you wouldn't do anything to upset the king.

Just when I thought I'd calmed down a new realization came to mind; my necklace!!! The maids must've snitched o-o-or maybe he recognized it from the ball? No!! He knows I slept in his palace without permission and he's going to sentence me to prison for life!!!

A pair of strong large hands snatched the letter out from my grasp. I whipped around to see Nick curiously reading the parchment.
"What's this?" His face was stern.
  I took in a deep breath and relaxed my shoulders. "It's.. a letter."

"Just a letter?" Nick wasn't fooled. I'm not even trying to fool him. I just feel embarrassed because the king invited me and not him.
"Mmm-yes now if you don't mind handing it back-"

"Rose this is from the king..."

Damn.

"Why are you getting letters from the king?"

"Well, don't ask me? I didn't tell him to!"

Nick sighed and looked at me in disbelief. I love my brother. And I know he loves me too. He's only looking out for his family. And he has the most responsibility.

His house is almost finished being built. Soon he'll move in with his wife. Then he won't have time to look after his siblings. He was always the calm one.

"Alright, but don't tell father. He might actually have a heart attack. And I wouldnt confide in mother either. Since she works for the man himself."

"Thank you! Thank you!" I hugged him forcefully. He tried to push me off but gave in and patted my back.
"Alright! Alright! Now get dressed! Get off me you crazy woman!" We giggled and went our ways.

**********
A few hours later...

My reflection showed that I was beautiful.
My hair was up in a big poofy bun twisted in curls. My dress sleeves hung loose on my shoulders and hugged my chest tight. The skirt part of the gown was large and poofy. A silly blue took hold of the entire dress and sparkles in any light. I twinkled in the moonlight like a fresh star in the sky. A glittery thin train of fabric dragged in the back. My shoes were high heels and glittered like diamonds. My jewels matched together. My earrings were a silver button that chained down, holding onto a silver tear drop frame that embroidered a dark blue gem. My necklace was a silver chain holding tight on my neck. Two small tear dropped shaped gems matching the earrings hung on the sides while a larger gem hung in the middle. A bracelet made just like my necklace was placed on my left wrist while a silver band and tear shaped gem rested on my right-hand ring finger.

I laced my chest and neck with a thin glitter to make me dazzle. I picked out my favorite perfume and headed down the stairs. I looked out the window to see the coach already waiting.
Nows the time. Everyone is asleep. I hesitated when opening the door. My heart was racing. I reminded myself that the king invited me to his castle. I must see this through. If he really is as evil as the stories say he is then I have no choice. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Then I left the house...