Wax heart

Rose

A soft féminine knock sounded at the door. Rose wondered if it was the king why knock after everything he's done. Another knock sounded on the doors but Rose didn't respond. Then she heard a low sigh from outside the room. "Miss, my name is Alfred Boggs. I've been sent to check on you."

Rose turned over in the bed dramatically throwing the blankets over herself while groaning an annoyed sigh. "Madam, I insist you let me in. Your defiance will only get us both in trouble."

She took in a deep breath. He seems to have manners at least. Alfred Boggs? That name sounds familiar.

Rose stood. Her bare feet hit the cold stone floor. Her dress was now wrinkly and tussled. But no way is she gonna take it off here.
Slowly inching closer and closer to the door, anxiety set in. She thought, any moment now the king could be waiting to snatch her up and kill her. Might as well count every day she's alive as a blessing. Wait a minute-

Something was a bit odd. The king locked the door from the outside. Why is this, Alfred knocking, begging me to let him in if he could just unlock the door and open it himself?

"Miss? A-are you there?" After a long pause of silence she could hear his feet begin walking away. She rushed to the door and pulled the handle, and yanked the door open. A short stubby man stared at Rose. Her breath heavy from the rush.

"It's an honor to meet you, the future queen." He bowed as he said this.

After a short pause Rose had broken the silence. "The what?"

*******

Vince

Vince was sitting in his grand bathroom with wine and a maid rubbing his feet. Silence echoed off the marble walls. It seemed to increase with every second, getting louder and more overwhelming.

The small, pale woman gently rubbed her thumbs up and down the palms of his feet. Pressing lightly as she pulled gently on each toe. One toe popped. And this seemed to get Vince to start speaking.

"You're a woman..." the maid froze and looked up at her master.
"Tell me.. of all the woman who wish to be with me, who would refuse?"

The thin woman was shocked. She didn't know how to respond. He usually requests a foot massage and sits quietly without making a single sound. Except sipping from his wine and reading from his books.

After not responding to his question he snapped. "Have I cut out your tongue? If not, should I make it true? Speak, woman!"

Her voice rasped from not being used to using it during her hours at the castle. "I-if I may, sire.." she gulped, afraid her answer would get her killed. " if I were wanting to be perused by- the king.. I'd expect romantic gestures from.. him?" She closed her eyes expecting to be punished. But nothing came.

"Tell me your name." Vince leaned forward and gazed into her eyes. Blushing, the maid stuttered her name out. "I'm.. my name is-Vanessa." Vince leaned back in his chair and exhaled. "Vanessa.." he whispered. "It's a lovely name. Please, tell me what kind of romantic things would win the heart of any woman?"

Her face now the color of a bright red tomato, she tucked her frail hands u def her arms and looked down at the floor. "Mmm I s-suppose.. flowers?" She asked, waiting if that was the correct answer. But he just sat there staring. "A-and um, gifts?"

After a brief silence, Vince sighed. "Is that all? The only things that could possibly woe a woman is flowers and trinkets??"

Stuttering, Vanessa spat out some other ideas, hoping she wouldn't die afterwards. "Well, how about horse rides? Uh- uhm, a fancy lady would like extravagant, unique, um- o-one of a k-kind... things?" She trailed off when she noticed the king's eyes had narrowed. His silver irises Looked dark and red in the lighting. Like he was thirsty for blood. She gulped afraid of what might come next. "So, I should shower her in riches. Give her anything she should desire?"

Choking back tears, she breathed finally and coughed a tiny bit.
He stood, slipping on his shoes and exited the room without saying another word to the maiden, who felt like her soul left her body.