33. sewage and water

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE
( ! sewage and water ! )

MARLEY FOUND HERSELF back at the place she wanted to be least

MARLEY FOUND HERSELF back at the place she wanted to be least. The exact location she had watched her uncle kill a man at.

"Look, it was right here, and this is where that maniac claimed his next victim. Right there." Kie pointed. Shoupe hummed. "Uh-huh. His next victim?" Kie nodded. "Yeah." Shoupe wrote something else down on his little pad. "Right. How long ago did you say it happened?"

"Forty-five minutes ago, Shoupe." JJ replied, standing up after bending down to feel around on the ground. Shoupe wrote that down. "Okay. And so, Ward Cameron just popped one off and shot him." Kie sighed, exhausted. "Yes."

Shoupe gave her a look. "Executioner style? And then cleaned it all up in 45 minutes?" Kie frowned. "Yeah." Pope nodded. "Obviously."

"We filmed the entire thing." Kie added. Shoupes head shot up. "You filmed it?" Kie nodded. "Yes, but we can't show it to you because I stepped on JJ's hand, and then he fell on Marley, who landed on Pope, and Pope dropped the camera because it's a piece of shit, and broke it."

Pope sighed. "Officer, this is a telephoto, and we needed to get a long-distance image, and... and... and I fell, and it broke, so the video is basically unusable. But... but we were there, and we're wit—"

"So the dog ate your homework?" Shoupe questioned. Marley scoffed lightly, turning away from Shoupe in anger. She didn't get how Shoupe didn't put together that someone actually in Wards family was speaking against him. Though, she guessed they didn't care that much when it had been both her and Sarah speaking up against him.

"No, Shoupe. I know it sounds—" Kie tried but was instantly cut off. "Look, I don't know what you kids expect me to do with this. You drag me out here in the middle of the night for a whole lot of nothing. Except for some crazy stories about how Ward Cameron's out on a random killing sprees."

"We're not making this up!" JJ screamed. "It's not a random killing spree! Gavin was his pilot! Okay, he was paying him hush money because he was on the tarmac that day." Pope explained. "Gavin was blackmailing Ward because he had the gun that Rafe used to kill Peterkin." Kie continued. "And then he called him here and tried to pay him off. But it wasn't enough, and then so he shot him. With the murder weapon." JJ finished.

"And Michael— Michael Cameron he was there too! He brought more money for Gavin but by the time he got there Gavin and Ward were already fighting and Ward killed Gavin!" Pope added quickly. Marley shot him a look, utterly pissed off he had brought her dad up as well. For all they knew, he knew less than them so bringing him into it wasn't fair.

Shoupe looked at Marley. "Is this true?" JJ stood in front of her. "What are you trying to do here, Shoupe?" Shoupe gave JJ a look. "I wasn't talking to you! I asked Marley if she saw her father here." Marley frowned. "Yeah, I did. But I don't think he knew anything. After Ward killed Gavin he took off."