18. the hot tub

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
( ! the hot tub! )

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN( ! the hot tub! )

MARLEY WAS SAT in the van. the ride to kies family restaurant was quiet. the only noises being someone's breath going out or the almost silent shaky breaths coming from one in the group.

the group all sat in a corner of the restaurant, marley farther away from the rest of the group as she stared at the floor.

pope is stood looking out the window when john b sighs, "look, he'll come around, all right? it's... he's doing a jj thing."

marley doesn't even look up when she mumbles, "do you think he'll go home?" everyone looks at the girl and pope sighs, trying to make her feel a bit better, "i'd say there's about a zero percent chance that jj went home."

marley moves her hand through her hair in stress as john b looks at sarah, "you okay?" the girl nods, "yeah. are you?"

"i mean, i'm in one piece, so..." smiles john b as he looks at sarah. pope sighs, "okay, it's too dangerous to pawn this thing off piecemeal. so our best bet is to go down there and get the rest of it. bring it all up at once. put it in- in a safe or a vault or something. i- i don't know. just until we can find someone who won't rip us off. okay, i can go figure it out tonight, get it done, and we can be out there as early as tomorrow morning."

"all right, let's do it." agrees john b as pope nods, "easy." "what about the thing with my dad?" questions sarah and all eyes go to john b in question.

"shit." mumbles john b as pope looks at him, "what thing?" "i have to go fishing with ward." responds john b as pope leans forward, annoyed.

"you can't get four-hundred mil cause you're gonna go kill fish?" asked kie as john b exhaled, "look, i have to go."

"blow it off. it's four-hundred million in gold!" emphasizes pope as kie adds, "make something up!" "look, i- i have to, okay? he... he saved me, all right? and if it weren't for ward, i'd be in foster care. so... i have to go. plus, it'll be better to do it at night. right?"

there's a pause as everyone takes in the information before pope sighs, "fine. fine, go fishing."

"and at least jj will probably have washed up by then." adds kie, trying to chose her words carefully as she looks at her upset friend.

marley knew in her heart she wasn't even upset with him. she was scared of what he'd do alone, if he'd go home, or if he'd go after barry again. she had no clue and it scared her. she also felt guilty, like she should have pushed kie and sarah off of her and ran after jj. but, she didn't and now all she was left to do was wonder and worry.

WHILE JOHN B and sarah had left, pope and marley stayed behind with kie for the rush of customers that would come in around five pm. the two had stayed all day with kie and over time, marley had slowly let her worry's go and was able to laugh with her friends.