34. the gun and then the call

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR
( ! the gun and then the call ! )

MARLEY FOUND HERSELF at the sheriffs station, waiting for Shoupe to see them

MARLEY FOUND HERSELF at the sheriffs station, waiting for Shoupe to see them. They had been waiting for a while. So long that it was now dark out and Kie had dried off completely.

When Shoupe did finally grace them with his presence, he sighed. "Okay, let's get this over with come on in." The four all stood fast, walking into Shoupes office.

"Now what is it you what to tell me now?" Shoupe questioned, looking between the four. I'm response, Pope just set Wards gun down on the table. Shoupe looked down at it, instantly understanding what the kids were saying. "So y'all are telling me this is the firearm Rafe Cameron killed Peterkin with?"

JJ nodded. "That's exactly what we're telling you, Shoupe." Pope was quick to continue. "And the exact same firearm that Ward just used to kill Gavin."

"I—" Shoupe stopped himself for a moment. "And where's that corpse again?" Kie looked at him confused. "Didn't you look?" Shoupe stated directly at the girl sitting across from him. "I checked the hospital. I went by his house. He was out."

"He was out?" Kie responded, flabbergasted by the stupidity. Marley scoffed. "People aren't just out for almost 24 hours without contacting anyone within that time!" JJ began yelling. "No shit, Shoupe! Cause he's dead!"

Kie continued. "Listen to yourself. It makes perfect sense." Shoupe began getting irritated at the four teens who continued to talk over each other. "Just because he's not in his damn home does not mean he was a victim of a homicide."

Marley scrunched up her eyebrows. "Uh, it does when we watched him get shot." Kie looked at Shoupe, almost begging him to see reason. "What are you talking about?" JJ looked towards Kie for a moment. "I told you this was gonna happen. You gotta be kidding me."

He pulled his hat off in anger and Marley sighed, lightly placing a hand on his arm as JJ turned away from Shoupe and towards the wall.

"Are you at least gonna send it in for ballistics and shit, or are you just gonna sit on your ass?" Kie questioned. JJ turned back towards Shoupe. "He'll sit there and wax that damn mustache. Is that even real?"

Shoupe stood up suddenly. "I'll wax—" Pope pushed JJ backwards. "Shut up, JJ." Shoupe began walking out and Kie stood. "It's not fair!"

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I hurt his feelings?" JJ questioned and Shoupe made it to the door. Pope looked at JJ again. "Shut up!"

He opened the door wide for the kids, turning back around. "Get out. I got work to do." JJ scoffed. "Are you serious?" Shoupe continued as Pope slammed his hand on the man's desk, "and y'all are smelling up my damn office."

"Fuck." Marley breathed out, running her fingers through her dirty hair as she tried to calm down. Every-time they had something it was suddenly taken away from them by Shoupe and it felt hopeless.