o. prologue

•------------------------------------------------------•

𝐂𝐑𝐘 𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐒𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘻𝘦𝘳𝘰: 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘨𝘶𝘦

•------------------------------------------------------•

𝙙𝙚𝙙𝙞𝙘𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣: aphroditesgarden
𝙖𝙪𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙧 𝙤𝙛: 𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐘 𝐁𝐔𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐒 | 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝗼𝐬𝐭 𝐛𝗼𝐲𝐬

❝ 𝘤𝘳𝘺 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳 (𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘣𝘰𝘺𝘴) - 𝘣𝘺 𝘨𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘮𝘤𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘯 ❞

     IF SHE TOLD YOU this is a story about the destruction of a home and the family it holds, would you continue without calling her melodramatic?

     Certainly she must jest, you might think with a smile of amusement as you look to your friends. But it is not in the slightest that she jests with you, for this tale is one that is naught but the utmost truth — a story she herself was forced to live through.

     Last time she asked if you were willing to read on knowing of their demise, and this time she asks something similar of you. Will you move forward with the knowledge of a family that you will be unable to save no matter how you scream for them to choose a path that will not lead to their demise?

     If you are here in this moment with them, you are well aware the importance family holds for those who are lost within the confines of both mortality and immortality. They are something used to ground you in times of strife, and they are also a source of strength and determination when one requires such things.

     The story of Peter Pan and his Lost Boys has spread further than they could have ever imagined, giving the lost souls in the world a semblance of hope that they'll be found and welcomed by creatures just like themselves. People adore the idea of finally being accepted somewhere, some time within their short lives, but they may not consider the finality of that acceptance; the eternity that follows once they're fully accepted.

     In death we are infinite.

     She never much thought of what would become of her soul once she stepped over the threshold of death and accepted it all in its undeniable majesty, but nothing would have ever prepared her for the infinity that lay ahead. The idea of a soul was created possibly centuries after she had forsaken hers for the chance of finding a happiness and contentment that out sustained even after the finality of a human death, so she cannot say it truly bothered her.

     Souls are undeniably fickle things, neither truly the pure white of good or the destructive blackness of evil, but instead lying somewhere within the silvery grey of chaotic beauty; a halfway point between being good and being evil. It allowed for its host to choose the light or the dark and then willingly followed when the path was shown.

     For creatures of the night, she wonders whether their souls are hitched closer to that of the darkness rather than that of the light. She wonders whether the light is too reminiscent of the scorching sunlight for their souls to withstand the purity of being more good than bad, and she wonders whether that means they have a chance of redemption when the end arrives and their time has run out.

     On the other hand, who's to say that creatures such of the night even have souls once their human body is replaced with that of a bloodthirsty beast? There's always the possibility that the soul crumbles at the time which their human body dies, and that it's but a ghost of their souls that lives on within their bodies, feeding them outdated and expired emotions that allow them to continue living on in death.

     In saying that, if they have no souls within their bodies after death, then why is it that they desire and crave to have a patchwork family of those much like themselves? If they have no soul, then why do they yearn for the touch of the ones they hold dear even after death? Why, when there's no solid proof of souls existing in the first place, do they believe that souls are something which impact on their ability to build families and love with all beings?

     So much time has passed since she last asked if you would follow their journey to death and beyond, so she feels as though she must ask for you to hold firm and trust in someone you've not known — and someone you shall never know, for these paths shall never again cross once their story has been fully told.

     The world they live in is more unholy and more pure than it was the last time we spoke, and it still remains an everlasting chaos felt and embraced by all who breathe the intoxicating air. Air, in a similar way to what many believe the soul to be, forever remains a shade of grey, never of black or white; chaotically and universally needed and unwanted.

     Those who are no longer with the living require not that which allows others to continue living in their stead, and those which will be born after their demise.

      With all that she has said, will you continue? Will you read of her story, without thinking her on the brink of insanity? Will you go to the next page and learn of their demise?