xiii. humanity's stigma

•------------------------------------------------------•

𝐂𝐑𝐘 𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐒𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯: 𝘩𝘶𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘪𝘵𝘺'𝘴 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘨𝘮𝘢

•------------------------------------------------------•

𝙙𝙚𝙙𝙞𝙘𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣: CrimsonAdri
𝙖𝙪𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙧 𝙤𝙛: Amethyst [Lost Boys Fic]

❝ 𝘥𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘪𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘷𝘦𝘪𝘯𝘴, 𝘪 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘦 ❞

     MUCH TO THE SURPRISE of none, Lena doesn't manage to get a decent amount of rest during the daylight hours. Nikolay is leaning against the concrete fountain in the centre of the lobby as she walks out, pulling a The Offspring hoodie on over one of Marko's old band shirts from the sixties that is still somehow wearable. There's a pained look in her brother's eyes, and Lena can only imagine the memories his sleep was plagued by.

     "Do you want to talk about it, Nik?" Lena asks, sitting on the lip of the fountain, shocked when Nikolay rests his head against her knee. "I see. Which memory was it?"

     "Finding you."

     "Does it really still haunt you — the night you, Damyan, and Xander saved me?"

     Nikolay huffs. "Of course it does, Krasimira. You'd been tortured for the first two hundred years of our lives — and then Damyan lost himself to the beast, giving you no choice but to kill him."

     "We're no better than the humans safely asleep in their beds, haunted by the memories of that we wish we could change with the snap of our fingers. The only difference is that our memories are from centuries ago."

     In the great scheme of things, the differences between mortal humans and semi-immortal beings like vampires are few and far between. Sure enough, the inhuman strength and abilities, the hunger for mortal blood, their substantial durability, and how their bodies are frozen in time give vampires a higher perch on the food chain of life, high above the weak bodied humans within their communities. 

     However, when you get down to the base fundamentals of morality and loyalties, vampires and humans are can be as fickle as each other. Emotional weakness is not singular to mortal races, but it is seen as a mental affliction to the semi-immortal; something that should not exist as we're no longer attached to the mortal world we've chosen to leave behind. So many believe emotions to inhibit us from living our generally eternal lives to their fullest in the darkness.