vi. what we must

•------------------------------------------------------•

𝐂𝐑𝐘 𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐒𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘪𝘹: 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘸𝘦 𝘮𝘶𝘴𝘵

•------------------------------------------------------•

𝙙𝙚𝙙𝙞𝙘𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣: Reyna1102
𝙖𝙪𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙧 𝙤𝙛: Their Feisty Mate (The Lost Boys x OC)

❝ 𝘤𝘳𝘺, 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳! (𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘵 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭) ❞

MESOPOTAMIA — AKKADIAN EMPIRE
2233 BCE

     KRASIMIRA IS THE FIRST to give in two nights later, the hunger having grown far too much for her transitioning body to handle. Staggering out the front door, Krasimira follows the scent of fresh blood, knowing that someone has hurt themselves not too far away. It turns out to be a mere child, looking to be barely ten years old, but Krasimira's hunger-clouded mind refuses to accept any guilt or apprehension towards the death of this human so that she may live.

     Hunger consumes Krasimira and she pounces on the child, feeling fangs grow from her gums a split second before her teeth are buried in the child's neck, her hand covering their screaming mouth. Their blood fills Krasimira's mouth, an indescribable taste, and no matter how much she takes from the squirming body, she wants more. So much more. Too soon for her liking, the child's body goes limp and the blood flow stops, their veins and arteries dry, and her hunger nowhere near being satisfied.

     "Krasimira?" Nikolay asks, his voice strained as Krasimira looks over at her twin with blood covering her mouth and chin, eyes glowing gold in the night. "What have you done?"

     Krasimira's lips curl into a smirk. "Don't go acting like Damyan now, brother mine. We both know that the hunger is too much for you as well."

     "You've killed a child. Why did it have to be a child?"

     "I could smell them. Can you not smell their blood?"

     Nikolay's eyes turn gold as he inhales, the tantalising scent of blood igniting the hunger anew within his body, fangs elongating and his body trembling. He disappears into the night and a few seconds later there's a woman's scream that's cut short, a growl rumbling in the darkness as her twin brother feeds. It's freeing, no longer feeling the almost consuming desire to feed, but Lena knows that it will return soon enough as there's no way of truly escaping hunger.

     Staring down at the child's corpse, Krasimira sighs out stale air, knowing that the body must be removed from the streets lest someone discovers the human's death was not of mortal means. Picking up the child, Krasimira wanders through the dark city until she comes upon her twin with a woman's corpse over his shoulder, blood covering his mouth, no doubt searching for a place to dump the vessel before sunrise.

     A smile crosses Krasimira's face and she takes Nikolay's hand before speeding through the cool night air, the ground vanishing at an uneasy pace beneath their feet until they are far past the city of Ebla and close to the cliffs bordered by the sea. Slowing to a stop at the very edge of the precipice, Krasimira stares down at the rough waves, pulling the child off her shoulder and dropping them into the darkness below, the woman's body following a few seconds later.

     "They will rest with Ereshkigal for eternity," Krasimira assures her brother as they walk back to Akkad and make their way through the night to their home. "She will guide them into peace, and Anu may play a hand in their sanctuary."

     "Why is it that you are the one comforting me, Krasimira? Should it not be the other way around?"

     "Not all men are to be strong, Nikolay, and not all women are to be weak. There is a grey area between the weakness and strength, and it is there that we sit as neither strong nor weak."

     He looks over at her, something bright in his eyes. "You would make a great Priestess, but it seems our futures are now uncertain. Although, we may well continue on to become Priest and Priestess, thanking the gods for immortality."

     "You'd thank the gods for becoming a murderer?" Damyan asks, his voice loud enough to be heard from the doorway of their house from where they're standing in the garden. Nikolay and Krasimira share a look before returning their gazes to Damyan as he walks towards them. "You've both chosen to become unnatural beings, and I see no merit to it. All will die as you live on, unchanging."

     Damyan's words make Lena's stomach feel as though it's received a blow, contorting within her body, and she can find no words to appease his logic and practicality at this time. Nikolay sighs out a stale breath and brushes past their older brother, pulling Krasimira along behind him with her hand caught in his, not wanting to leave her to face their brother's pacifism. Krasimira would find her twin's actions kind if she did not understand the importance behind her oldest brother's words.

     Funnily enough, it takes only two short months for Damyan to become consumed by the hunger, the strength of it sending him almost feral. Nikolay and Krasimira are by their brother's side once he regains his bearings, his brown eyes filled with terror and remorse as he looks upon the cooling corpse of a young male. Nikolay is the one to dispose of their brother's kill as Krasimira takes the dark-haired male home before the sun can scorch his skin, trying hard to evade the delighted expression of their father.

     "Do you enjoy it, Krasimira?" Damyan asks once Krasimira has cleaned the blood off his face, his eyes dull and his face slowly regaining some colour as he sits on his bed. "The killing. Does it ever get easier to take a life?"

     Still kneeling before him, Krasimira sighs out stale air and chews at her bottom lip. "It's a necessity, Damyan, nothing more. I find no pleasure in killing our people to survive, but it has gotten easier to distance myself from those I kill."

     "There's no thrill to killing those who can't fight back," Nikolay snickers from the doorway, arms crossed over his chest and amusement in his eyes. "But yes, it gets easier, brother. One day you'll be able to simply turn it all off; you'll do it without realising, and then everything will be much easier."

     "They're fickle creatures, humans, but they're the only way we can survive."