xi. eternal inner warfare

•------------------------------------------------------•

𝐂𝐑𝐘 𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐒𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯: 𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘯𝘢𝘭 𝘪𝘯𝘯𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘢𝘳𝘧𝘢𝘳𝘦

•------------------------------------------------------•

𝙙𝙚𝙙𝙞𝙘𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣: vintagegreaser17
𝙖𝙪𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙧 𝙤𝙛: Cry Little Sister

❝ 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴? ❞

     NIKOLAY TAKES THE NEWCOMERS out into the night, knowing that they're no doubt hungry after Lena interrupted their feeding, leaving the oldest vampire in their midst to deal with David's out of character behaviour once again — and this time it's not Michael that's brought it on. It's only ever been his Sire Brother that's brought the lesser known side out of hiding — at least until today it seems, and Lena is not overly confident on whether it's Nikolay, or Xander and Nadine.

     The curly-haired brunet boy in question is leaning against a wall, arms crossed over his chest and his brown eyes pointedly staring at the piles of dusty clothes atop the dresser on the opposite side of the foyer, knowing full well that Lena is looking at him. He doesn't want to be dragged into this mess anymore than he already has, but there's really no escaping it since he's already made part of the journey into the chaotic swirling of his Sire's past.

     "Are you mad that I didn't tell you?" Lena asks, sitting atop the concrete fountain's outer rim, arms stretched out behind her and hands curling around the inner lip of the fountain. Staring up at the roosting pigeons, she smiles sadly, remembering how attached Marko was to the birds. "After three hundred years, you're acting out about what you've never known. Jealousy is not a good colour on you, David."

     David's blue eyes are livid as he glares at Lena. "Jealousy doesn't quite cover it, Krasimira."

     A growl rumbles in Michael's chest. "David."

     "It's alright, Michael. He's allowed to say as he pleases." Lena raises an eyebrow at the curly-haired male. "In saying that, why aren't you irritated with me as well?"

     "Lena, I..."

     David laughs humourlessly, kicking a rock along the ground. "Michael doesn't want to hurt your feelings."

     "And you do, David?" she muses, tipping her head back and watching the pigeons. "How cruel you are, to wound the one who made you."

     "You are a fucking hypocrite."

     "On occasion. But at least I own up to the fact that I killed my father."

     David's back straightens and his shoulders snap back, horrified betrayal glowing in his eyes, and Michael's attention is instantly on his Brother. Faintly amused at the lack of verbal response, Lena rolls her head to look at the bleach blond, feeling her neck crack at the motion. Unbothered by the look on his face, Lena's lips curve into a malicious smile and she laughs softly, wondering when he will eventually stop letting every little thing get to him.

     Back when David was still human, he suffered greatly at the hands of his father, so it only made sense that it was his father who fell first after he Turned. Well, it made sense three hundred years ago. Lena wasn't able to stop him, and she has grown to regret that fact over the years — especially when she wakes to find David with a haunted look in his unearthly blue eyes.

     Michael huffs and rubs his eyes, being battered by David's untamable emotions through the Bond, no doubt wondering why he's being caught in this crossfire when it has very little to do with him. "Lena. David. Will you both just stop?"

     Lena sighs out stale air and hops off the cement fountain, walking over to her first Sired and taking his gloveless hands in hers. "David, look at me."

     David meets her gaze evenly, a mask shielding his true emotions.

     "I'm not going to apologise — both because it's been three hundred years, and because he very much deserved his end."

     He drops his head forward, eyes closing as he presses their foreheads together, stale air brushing her lips as he sighs. "I know, doll. I don't get why it's still..."

     "It's still haunting you because you won't accept it as a part of you." Freeing one of her hands, Lena reaches up and rests her palm along his jawbone. "You're a killer, dear one. That will never change, and you will never escape it."

     Michael hesitantly walks over, awkwardly hovering beside them until David pulls the curly brunet closer, the younger's forehead bumping against theirs. Smiling softly, Lena raises her hand still holding David's and brushes her knuckles across Michael's cheek, knowing that he's feeling more of an outsider than usual because both of his parents are still alive somewhere on this planet.

     There's an inhuman warmth and contentment being so close to her Sired; a singular connection that can not and will not ever be replaced no matter how many years pass them by — even if they feel as though they pass in the blink of an eye. The world will move on around them even as they remain the same; frozen in time and watching as life evolves. But they will each remain a solidarity for the other two, as an anchor when the time comes that their memories become more of a burden than usual.

     Even within Vampire Covens, both polyamory and polygamy are rarely heard of — usually due to the large amount of vampires generally in a singular Coven. Yet, here these three stand, caught in the web that cannot be escaped no matter how hard one might try. If they did escape in the end, what would be the point? They are each others' home; flesh and bone they may be, but a home is far more than four walls and a roof above your head — it can be the simple complexity of a living being.

     "We are intrinsically broken, my sweet lost boys." Lena holds them tighter, desperately wanting to hide them away from the malevolent world outside their sunken hotel. "We've lost our other pieces, and now it's time to find them once again. Maybe then we'll be just that little bit more whole."

     Michael hums in agreement. "Of course we will, Lena."

     "We're not replacing them, are we?" David asks, fear burning in his voice.

     Pain stabs her unbeating heart. "The boys can never be replaced, dear one. No one will ever be able to replace our boys."

     "Never," Michael murmurs, pained guilt rife in his voice.

     David presses his forehead harder against the curly-haired brunet's. "Michael."

     Squeezing my eyes shut, Lena holds them close. "Don't you dare blame yourself, beautiful boy."

     "Krasimira," Nikolay yells, speeding into the sunken hotel, a wild look in his blue eyes. "We have visitors!"