2 | The New Village

Months passed since that day.

I've noticed that the men working are more wary of the area, so I mostly left them to their own devices. It was somewhat understandable, my encounter with one of their men was while I was wearing white robes and a bird mask, while they wore bright vests and orange hats. I didn't look anything like them. I would inspect the work at night when they weren't around - had they gone home or taken a break? I don't know.

Other metallic beasts would enter the area after a while, and although I was terrified of them at first, I began to admire them as they helped the men create buildings. They weren't made out of wood like my old village, but they started with metal structures, slowly making the walls, floors and ceiling out of concrete. They also started making roads, concrete ones, and I would sometimes run and dance along them at night. It was all a new experience, and I decided I wanted to live in this new village, or at least meet the people who would live here.

One day, the men and their beasts stopped coming. Slight concern turned to panic when I couldn't even find them in the houses they made. Perhaps they would bring villagers, maybe they weren't going to live here? How kind of them to build homes for others, even if they took down my house... but it's an upgrade, right?

Another month passed. I sat staring at one of the signs, "SOLD" being stamped over the for sale text. Every single house here had a sign like this, all of them soon being occupied by humans. I've tried talking to them, of course, but they understandably ran away. My only clothing that I owned now (thanks to the men who took down my house) were my white robes, and my face was hidden under a bird-like mask.

What intrigued me was what was in their houses. At night, most would stay indoors so taking the chance, I would wander around the village, looking at the gardens, the animals they kept within them, and occassionally hop a fence to observe.

My favourite thing that every house had is this black board. I thought they were used for teaching as I had read in one of my stolen diaries once, when I managed to catch one of it quite literally come to life. Moving drawings! The music! The sounds! It eventually became my daily routine to try to catch at least one of them at this lively state.

I believe it's called a TV, I overheard a child say something about it before turning one of the black boards on. What also intrigued me was to variety of content it had. Moving drawings, three-dimensional things that I'm pretty sure never exist, and even real humans showing up. I believe it's called live action. I can't help but worry after every show if the person who fell 12 floors to their death in the show was okay. Or the antagonist, who although is a complete jerk, got stabbed 15 times before obviously dieing. And sometimes, there would be horror movies. I paid no attention to the violent shows, but a lot of times the audience, being the people inside the houses watching the movie, would be so scared that when I catch their attention, they freak out and run.

And now these pranks became my obsession. Eventually, I would stumble upon a huge setback to my observation rounds - curtains closed.

Well crap, back to viewing gardens and talking to animals again.