8.ARC | Interrupted Interview

I jolt up into a sitting position.

This was not the forest... this is a room made of solid concrete. I'm in some sort of bed.

I realised that there was a desk near me, and across the room, some sort of large mirror. No windows. I think that the things in the corners of the room are the eyes of the drones, but I can't be too sure.

I get up, starting to fold the blanket, when I heard some sort of hissing sound. I turn to see a man in an orange jumpsuit being pushed into my room. As soon as he gets up, the door is quickly closed.

A voice, from neither of us, is heard. "D-9846, you are to approach SCP-XYZ to interview it. Failure to comply will result in you termination."

He stares at me with a seemingly exhausted look as I place the folded-up blanket on top of my pillow.

"Fuck me, man... fuckin' doctor's going to kill me like how 49 nearly did in that breach..."

He proceeds to take out some sort of box with buttons on it, pressing the button as he starts speaking. Still standing next to the door, staring at me as if I was going to kill him. "This is D-9846, with SCP-XYZ. Interview log XYZ.IL.1, 6 October 2021. So-"

I quickly step back. "Hold on, what year is it again?" "Twenty twenty-one."

I sit back down on my bed, letting out a sigh. The man flinches. "Twenty-first century, huh?" I lean my back against the wall, kicking my feet up onto the bed. "Time flies when you're in isolation, huh? If I'm spending more time alone here, at least it ain't the woods. Been in there too long."

He seems to relax a little, seeing me lie on the bed. "Okay, okay. So I'm going to ask you some questions-" "about the disappearances of Molly Arthur and her children. Look, I told the officers what they needed to know, and I swear I'm not the perpetuator here. You can ask Mr B to confirm this."

He looks worried again, although quite understandable since I think they believe I have taken part in the disappearance. I started wondering where Mr B is. He could be in a similar room like mine, and maybe staying here too.

If it was me who made him a suspect, I'd feel horrible.

"Well, uh, SCP-XYZ, we are not here to discuss that- are you aware that this is the SCP Foundation? You're classified as an anomaly?"

A different voice, neither from me nor him, but not coming from outside the room either, spoke. It was unexpectedly loud, causing me to quickly cup my ears with my hands.

"D-9846, we haven't explained that to the entity yet. Follow the script."

I slowly uncover my ears, my eyes darting around the room. I slowly stand up, making D-9846 back into the door.

That voice... it was Mr B's.

"Mr B?" I called out. I heard static, as if he was listening, and the D-boy just stared at me in confusion. "...man, Bell, is that you? I thought you were back at the house or in another room getting questioned or something."

"...well fuck my life, the doctor and Bright get along. This facility ain't lasting long."

Bright is his real name? No wonder he got uncomfortable whenever I called him that.

"...Mr Bright? Please, get in here."

I hear a sigh, as Bright started speaking. "I can't... go inside. Superiors' orders. Unless they classify you as Safe."

As if on queue, the mirror seemingly becomes transparent, like glass. And I see Bright, in another room. Wearing a green shirt, lab coat... and a ruby amulet. "However... they never said anything about interacting between glass! How are you, Dove?"

I practically leapt out of my bed, running towards the window and almost slammig face-first into the thing. D-9846 stands still, almost like a statue, watching us and I don't think he knew what to do. "So Bright's your name, huh?" "Actually, Dr. Jack Bright. But yeah, call me Bright. And I believe... you owe me your name now that you know mine." "Oh, I'm Y/N L/N! Just say Y/N or whatever you wanna call me, B." "Uh, Dr Bright, I believe we need to continue the interv-"

He looks directly at D-9846. "And? If I can recontain 682 with a miniature clay model of myself in my pocket and a chainsaw cannon disguised as a watergun, I can do whatever the fuck I want." "...what's a chainsaw cannon-"

The door opens for another man in orange carrying a strange contraption. D-9846 looks at him in obvious panic. "That is a chainsaw cannon."

D-9846 looks directly at Bright. "Why- why are we bringing weapons in here?! I just wanted to get this interview over and done with, damn it! Where's the other personnel?! I may be a D-Class but I know this isn't allowed!"

So the men in orange are D-Class. The D-Class holding the cannon has the weapon immediately taken by some guards. "Dr Bright, what did we say about introducing XYZ to weapons..."

Bright smiles, before taking out a sword. "No projectiles."

Seeing the look on the guard's face made everyone in the room laugh, including me. "What the fuck- no weapons! No fucking weapons! Put- put away that- is that a Minecraft netherite sword?! Did you run Minecraft items through 914 again?!"

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Bright put the sword away, starting to swing the amulet by the chain on his finger. "Fucking- Bright, do not communicate with SCP-XYZ until the damn interview is over."

With that, the D-Class and the Guard left, the glass turns back to a mirror. Only me and D-9846.