12 | Transfer

A/N: instead of rewriting the book starting from chapter 0 like a normal author would, I decided to rewrite the chapter that's in the middle of the book. The plot generally remains the same; the only thing changed is some lines to make more sense/lign up with my current writing skills, and Bright being changed to Dr. Eleanor Veilleux (OC).

.

"So I'm being moved to a new containment chamber? Now?"

I could only stare blankly at Eleanor. "I was kinda liking this room."

"Well," she began, "they updated your special containment procedures. You're classified as a Euclid, so I'm technically not supposed to talk to you." They spin around in their chair, looking at me through the window. "But since I was the first to come into contact with you! I have special privilege!"

I see the door open, and Eleanor rushes out of their room. Within seconds, they're at the door. "Normally they restrain people when moving them somewhere... but I threatened them into giving a free pass. Just don't go leaving a trail of plants on the way, otherwise I'll probably get fired.

As I step out, for what I realise is the first time since I got here, people stared in my direction. Some familiar faces, like the scientists observing me during the test. And some unfamiliar ones as well.

I notice Ella brisk-walking away, and I hurry to catch up with him. "Hey, can you slow down? I didn't know you would want to get away that badly!" "That's because although I am assigned to you and are allowed minimal contact with you, I'm pretty sure half of eveyone here will point a gun at me if I start going off-course. So before I do something-" She rounds a corner, and I attempt grabbing her hand to slow her down. This was not successful, as I started running after the doctor. "-I'm just gonna get you to your cell as soon as possible before someone hoses me down with a fire extinguisher."

I suppress a giggle, imagining an armed guard spraying them in the face with foam. "Why'd they do that? Did you commit a crime or something? Pretty funny though, if you ask me."

"Does human sacrifice count?"

I stumbled, nearly falling to the ground, and I yelp in surprise. Dr. Veilleux immediately turns around to catch me, and I look up to see their face. "You're welcome, Y/N. Should we get going?" I start backing away from them. "You- a... what?" I sputtered, my brain attempting to process this information and failing miserably. "Does human sacrifice count? HUMAN SACRIFICE- OF COURSE IT FUCKING DOES?" "Well, not exactly, more like some poor soul lit a candle with my name on it and ended up burning to death."

She starts walking again, but at a much more reasonable pace. I start walking by their side, ignoring a group of D-Class being pushed past me. "So... you set someone on fire. Are you just some sort of menace too valuable to let go of?" "Bingo." "The fuck did you do?"

They stop walking, and I stop as well. "I'll just let you think about it. So." They pause again, seemingly deep in thought. "Days without a major incident involving and/or instigated by Dr. Veilleux. It's like a scoreboard on my fucking personnel file."

"Can't be that bad."

"Dr. Veilleux has been reprimanded 114 times for misconduct involving property damage and breach of security protocols, all of which involving something being set on fire."

...Huh.

"So that- the fireworks thing back home wasn't a one-off thing?" "I used an infinite flame to set things on fire at least six times."

We started walking again. Who knew my best friend in the entire world is probably going to be the reason society collapses? "Also, if people see me holding any sort of fire started, security personnel have permission to just restrain my, lethal force allowed."

"How many bodies have been accumulated due to your very existence?"

"Oh trust me, even if I didn't kill anyone, there's still hundreds dead because of me."

Their expression seemed to sour. "I should be retiring."

"Wait, but you look, like, in your early-" We turn a corner, and she yells as she stumbles backwards. "El, what the hell-"

"Dr. Veilleux, you should probably look around corners before turning, you almost crashed into me! SCP-049 is literally right behind me, I don't feel like losing my life today."

I walk towards Eleanor, looking to my left to see who they nearly bumped into. A guard, wearing an opaque helmet so I couldn't see who they were. "Escorting a sentient SCP unsupervised, and without restraining it? I thought you're not supposed to be with one considering your record. I think we know how well that could go. To the Director's office! I'll take this SCP back-"

Another person from behind the guard piped up, interrupting them. "Mike, Ella is the head researcher of SCP-XYZ, and they're allowed to be alone with them, y'know? Have you not even read the SCP's file yet? She's moving them to a new containment chamber, as mentioned in their special containment procedures. The previous cell is a temporary holding cell that doesn't even meet their containment needs."

I try to smile at the guards, then quickly realised that they couldn't see me through my mask. "Eh, just bring 049 to the testing chamber. We have other duties."

Ella started walking away, and I start following them, only to stop when I notice who I assume SCP-049 is.

Another plague doctor. Dressed in similar clothes as me, although their robes are black instead. Their eyes were an unnatural shade of yellow... as if they were golden.

I then realise that they had handcuffs around their wrists, as well as a clunky metal collar around their neck. The first guard starts moving away, though, causing 049 to nearly fall over due to the sudden pull on their neck by a chain. I quickly wave at them, before running to catch up to Eleanor

"Vee, there's people like me here?"

They turn to look at me. "You talking about the dark robed guy we just walked past?" "Yeah. What's up with them, being all chained up while I'm not?" "He is more dangerous."

She pauses again. "I- I think someone - oh, not just someone, it was Elly - made some poor Class D play patty cake with him, like, two weeks after getting assigned to 049. Yeah, the D-boy died not even two seconds later."

I notice that we have reached a door that needed a keycard, and Eleanor started checking their pockets for one. "So 049 is a violent one, huh?" "Eh, not exactly..." Eleanor then looks at my gloves, making me look at my hands, too. "...it's just... he kind of can kill people via touch. He can't control it."

"And someone named Elly made someone play a game that involves touching his hands? I bet 049 is really disappointed watching them fold over and die by high-fiving him."

They finds their card, swiping it on the card reader. The door opens to show a room, and I immediately know that the stronger-looking door inside leads to my cell. "I don't think he's bothered by that. He can sort of bring people back to life."

I walk towards the door, waiting for him to let me in. "Good!" "I think the keyword is sort of."

She swipes the card on the second reader, and the door hisses open. My room seems more spacious than before, having a more comfortable-looking bed, an empty bookshelf, and a television on the wall. I look back at Eleanor, who was already leaving.

"El- Ella, leaving so soon?"

They sigh. "I really want to stay and talk with you more, but I am needed at a meeting." She smirks. "Also, guess what? It's about Death-Touch Man. You can ask me all about that thing later."

"So... see you around then?"

"Y/N... I haven't been fired after nearly burning three of my workplace buildings down six times, not to mention my current record of 114 times being reprimanded. Also- what can possibly happen in a boring-ass meeting that'd kill me? Of course I'll see you later."