4 | Mechanical Bird

I woke up to an unusual sound. Bad.

The sound kept following me throughout the day. Bad to the power of two.

On my way to E's house, it followed me too. Bad, to the power of 3.

I glance behind me again, and saw absolutely nothing. It could be my mask obscuring my vision, but I've never taken it off for quite a long time. I've grown accustomed to seeing perfectly well with it on.

The constant whirring followed me throughout the neighbourhood, and when I turned around again, I finally saw it.

The light reflecting off of one of the street lamps gave away its position, in mid-air. I thought it was a bird, but there was clearly something wrong with it. Its wings... nonexistent. Instead of wings were four circular fans to the sides, which I immediately assumed the whirring was from.

"I see you. You can come down."

Nothing.

That was when I noticed that it didn't have two pairs of eyes, nor a beak. In fact, I don't think it even had legs, or feathers. The only feature that I thought allowed it to see was a large, dark dome at the front of it, which I could only assume was its eye.

Maybe a new modern species of bird?

"I said you can come down now."

Nothing.

●●●

"And why did you throw a rock at it?"

E put their elbow against the doorframe, leaning on it with a somewhat smug look. "Not gonna lie, kinda badass." "It's not- what does ass- nevermind. It was following me. The entire damn day, I mean. I'm not the kind to get violent, but I got scared. It's... metal. No beak, no feathers, I don't think it even has bones or blood. Is this a new kind of bird?"

And they laugh, almost the exact same way as yesterday. I tilt my head. "E?"

"That, my friend, is a drone."

I blinked. "A drone?"

"Someone's spying on you."

We both turn to stare at the corpse of the drone that had been following me all the way here. "Well, Drone has been following me every step of the way to your house. What do we do?" "I have an idea, but we have to wait for tomorrow." I shuddered at that sentence, which only made E raise their eyebrow. "What?" "I feel like I might get ambushed by the drones. Like some sort of wolf pack."

I nearly jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder. E was smiling at me, and I could tell they were trying to make me not think too hard about it. "Look, drones... they're rather passive, per say, but the information to the people they serve? That's what you have to worry about. Don't worry, as long as they don't know where you live, you should be fine."

"How can I be sure they don't know?"

"Shoot them the fuck down with rocks, that's what."

I squinted at E. "Isn't that murder?" "Yeah, but it's self defence. Who cares?" I pointed at myself. "Me?" "They can do bad things."

I let out a sigh. "Okay. Just... one more question. What does 'fuck' mean?"

Their expression seemed to drop as their reassuring smile quickly changed to a face that said "Oh no." Sure enough, the word that came out of their mouth was,

"...oh."