16 | the Thing is Alive

"SCP-096 recontained successfully. Awaiting recointainment of one SCP subject."

I look up at my clock. It had been exactly 54 minutes since I started reading. It's just the sentient camera left, and considering they're, well, a sentient camera hopping from place to place, I don't think they can retaliate aside from slamming doors into the task force's faces. Perhaps they could even break someone's arm or leg if timed well enough.

Speaking of the announcement, I spotted movement from my bed. It probably woke them up. I wonder how they even slept through the loud alarms in the first place, but exhaustion is a side effect of revival, anyway. They slowly sat up, rubbing where their eyes should've been. I quickly put a bookmark on the page I was on, setting it on the desk as I approached them.

"Hello."

They looked at me, almost as if they didn't expect me there. "You've been asleep for the past hour, and since there's only one SCP left, I don't think the breach will last any longer."

"Wh... where's 049...?" he mumbled. Since the camera said his name is 049-J, I'm assuming 049 is related to him. "Recontained. No idea where, though."

He shakily breathes out, crossing his legs. "My- my mask- where is it?" "Destroyed. I left it in heavy containment, I don't have the skills nor materials to fix it." "...my stick?" "It suffered the same fate."

He remains silent for a while.

"...where's Shy Guy?" "Who?" "096." "Recontained just as you woke up, why?"

He shifts to face his body towards me, leaning against the wall as he heaves out a sigh of relief. "Nothing..."

I then remembered the hat that I was wearing. I quickly took it off. "Oh, uh, this hat is yours, right? It wasn't too badly damaged so I took it with me."

He quickly grabs the hat, and despite being made out of moss and having no face, I could've sworn he smiled. "Thanks! What's your name?" "Y/N L/N, but most people here call me SCP-XYZ. You're SCP-049-J, correct?" "How'd you know?"

I look up at the camera in my room, which was not currently inhabited by the neon blue glow. "Some sentient camera, they're actually the last SCP out there."

I'm pretty sure he's smiling even wider despite the obvious lack of face, does this man radiate happiness or what? "Oh yeah, call me Jay. I don't have a real name."

Interesting.

"Y/N, you're a doctor?" "Well... yeah. Never actually practiced, but I think I've read a bit too many books." His face, if it even could at this point, brightened up even more. "Nice! Another person to help with the cure!"

"There's a lot of diseases out there, which cure?"

"The cure to the pestilence. My cure is very effective on- I'm a doctor! I'm a cure to it! Very effective!"

He looks around to grab something, before just taking off his hat and gesturing around dramatically. "The cure to The Great Dying! The best cure! I mean- my cure! I am the cure!"

He sounds so confident, yet at the same time, as if he was trying to convince himself. It's... adorable. "What's the symptoms to this 'Pestilence', 'The Great Dying', I might ask? I haven't read about it yet."

"Yeah uh-"

Very conveniently, Jay is cut off by the intercom. "Five out of five generators activated. All generators have been engaged. Finalising recontainment sequence. The facility will overcharge in T-minus 10 seconds."

We look directly at each others... eyes? He doesn't have any, but that's the best I can describe that moment.

"...of course that happens."

"Overcharge in 3... 2... 1..."

The room then plunges into darkness, pitch black. Even the alarms and red lights stopped.

It wasn't long until the lights turned back on, though. The alarms remained off, so that's the end of the breach.

"SCP-079 recontained successfully. All SCPs have been recontained. All personnel are advised to continue with their normal activities."

"...they'll put me back in a cell once they see me."

He then stands from the bed, walking over to my bookshelf, which happens to be next to my desk, where a Foundation-issued laptop was sitting on top. "You have a bookmark in here or what?"

"A... bookmark."

"You have one?"

"We have some time to spare between the staff come here, you walk to the one corner of my room where I have many books and a laptop with so many games, and you want a fucking bookmark?"

"Trust me. Do you have a bookmark or no?"

I sighed, pointing at the book I was reading while he was asleep. He looks at it for at least five seconds before he immediately rips out the bookmark. He didn't even tell me the page I marked...

"Jay, the next time you want a bookmark, at least check and tell me the page it was-"

I was cut off by the fact he practically teleported to my chamber door, doing something with the bookmark. "...Jay? What're you doing?"

He then shoves the door open. "Just used the bookmark to open the door! Alright, I'll see you next breach or something!"

"...049-J, what the hell were you doing in XYZ's room, and why do you not have your mask on?"

I leaned to my side, to see three guards and a scientist behind Jay. I recognise all of them as the first zombies I brought back to life, D-9178 being among them. Jay just looked at them for a few seconds before bashing his head forcefully against the doorframe, immediately falling to the ground, unconscious.

We all stared at his unconscious, moss-tissue tophat-wearing apparently 'the cure' body on the ground, in shock.

"...you have got to be fucking kidding me, he woke up no less than ten minutes ago."