(APRIL 1ST 2022) 21.5 | A Thousand Voices

I jolt awake to the sweet sound of blaring alarms. I yawned, watching Bright load a nerf gun with real bullets.

"The site is experiencing multiple Keter and Euclid breaches, too many for me to list out because you'll be dead by the time I finish. All reality benders have breached though, so good luck."

Oh wow.

"This will be interesting," Bright muttered, as she cocks her lethal edition nerf gun. "Yo, Y/N, wanna come? A breach of reality benders isn't going to end very well, so might as well bring you along so that the entire site doesn't die."

"Sure."

The door is exploded open, and the both of us stared in shock. "Well, looks like the reality shifts are already happening, haha-" "C'mon Y/N, before we get fucking vaporised."

The both of us ran through the halls, occassionally stopping to prevent ourselves from slamming directly into a wall that had been a hallway just seconds ago. They're gonna have a hell of a time fixing this utter mess.

Hey, maybe that explains why Bright says all the personnel spend half their time getting lost. Maybe they don't even fix the shifting hallways.

I was snatched out of my thoughts when Bright shoves a hand onto the beak of my mask. "Hey! What the-" I fall silent when I look ahead.

It's a giant, red dog. Well, the best I can describe it in one sentence. Sharp spikes protrude from its back, and its teeth were like enlarged needles. Its feet were all webbed, complete with razor-sharp nails at their ends. "Y/N, whatever you do, do not make a-"

The dog's head snapped towards our direction. "So much about being quiet. RUN!"

Bright shoved me, and she took off running in the opposite direction, firing her nerf gun. I turn just in time to see her barely dodge the dog just as it lunged at her. "Bright!"

I throw my hands down on the floor, and I dashed towards her, two vines rapidly sprouting from where I had touched the ground. Hang in there Jack, help is on the way-

I skid to a stop as the hallway quickly shifts into a wall. "No!"

Even the vines weren't quick enough. They slammed upon the newly-formed wall, and both vines slithered upon the heavily reinforced surface, dazed and confused by the completely unexpected impact. I inhale sharply as I heard what sounded like a lion snarling, followed by a sickening crunch of bones.

Shit.

"Bright, you fucking idiot. You heroic, stupid, life-saving bastard" I muttered under my breath, as the vines retreated to where I had rooted them. My best friend is dead, again.

I was about to head back from where I came from, when I heard someone. "Hello? Does anyone hear me?"

Wasn't that Bright?

I froze.

"Please, I need help now. God, these skips are everywhere."

I smiled to myself. Huh, maybe she didn't die this time. Did she really have to imitate a dog growling, though?

"Bright!" I called out, glancing around. "I'm over here!"

Biggest mistake of my life.

I watched in horror as the red dog's snout appeared around the corner. "Oh, there you are," it snarled, in a difference voice that still sounded creepily like that of a human. "I thought I lost you for a moment there."

I leapt out of the way just as it leapt at me, and I quickly sprouted a wall of saplings in an attempt to block it. It chomped thrpugh, and I booked it down the halls. "Hey! I'm not finished yet!"