5 | Playing With Fire

When I woke up again, there were three more of those fuckers following me around. I don't know who the shit sent them after me, but having my life constantly observed by... what were they called? Ah, drones. When I see the motherfucker responsible, I'll make sure they'll regret that.

I continued visiting E. They almost seemed to be waiting at the door; she would open the door just as I was about to knock, laugh in my face, then say something about seeing how scared I was.

"Dove, the day you asked about the word 'fuck', I kind of regret telling you about swear words." "What's wrong with it, bitch? Getting pissed off over a few not-for-kids words?"

She started laughing and immediately chocked on their own spit, making me giggle. I tried not to, though, as I was busy trying to make a "682-shaped bush" in the middle of his garden. They kind of just handed me a picture and requested- no, begged me to create one. So I am. "Well uh, you kind of sound like a ten year old who found out about swear words and started performing nuclear fusion with it." "The fuck is fuckin' "nuclear fusion"?" "Dove, I beg you, stop it with the swear words."

I finally finish curling the stems into the shape of the creature's face. "Well, I'm almost done with your bush here. What kind of animal is this, anyway? Looks like some fucked up lizard."

She chuckles. "Trust me, it is."

I then heard more whizzing noises of the drones. "You have got to be kidding- hey, um, I've been using pebbles to take those down but I'm pretty sure you have more... efficient? Fun? Dangerous ways to take out the drones? Could you show me?"

"Alright, alright. Give me a second. I'm getting something I think you might like."

They disappeared into their house for a couple of minutes, and I glared at the drones as three or more appeared. I think they didn't realise I would notice, but I could see them hiding in the trees, drains, hell, even a trash can once. But with how many I took out, the operators should be aware that I am on heightened anti-drone alert.

E then reemerged with a box and what seemed like ear muffs. "What're those, and why'd you bring earmu-"

"These are noise-cancelling headphones."

I was cut off by them forcefully shoving the headphones on me. "Hey, what the-?!"

They then started opening the boxes, and I see him taking out some pointed cylinders. "We're playing with fireworks. They're pretty loud, so I thought you'd need those headphones." She then takes out a matchstick, smirking at me. "Gets the job done, is more spectacular than what pebbles do when they hit a drone, explodes into colours. You'll love these."

"...when you say that, are we setting drones on fire?" They hand me one. "Eh. Kinda. You don't want to have it explode near you, you'll get burnt. Maybe lose a hand while you're at it. Watch." I take a couple of steps backwards as she takes the match, looks at it, before throwing it away and taking out a rather large, strange-looking device. "Will you slow down with these items? You know I have absolutely no clue what these are-"

With a loud FWOOM and practically the entire neighbourhood being lit up, I watched as an inferno was spat out the end of the device. She quickly aimed the flames at the firework, before quickly aiming it at a random, genuine, but very unlucky bird, who happened to be flying past. "That, Dove, is called a flamethrower."

The rocket shot up into the sky, and.. nothing.

"Uh, E? I don't think it worked-"

As if on cue, it blew up, practically blinding me and I immediately looked away. "Come again?"

I look again just to see the colours of the explosion already quickly fading away. "...could you do it again? I didn't see it."

They gave a matchstick to me. "No, it's your turn. Aim at the drones, if you can even see them in the dark."

I point the rocket at a drone by a lamppost. "No, no, it's easy. They stand out like a folded page of a book."

I take aim.

"Okay so to use a match stick, you strike it against-" "I know! I'm not a toddler."

I strike it against the fence, watching the flames dance between my fingers. "It's safe, right?" "Oh yeah it is, trust me. Also, light that string at the end of the rocket."

I do, immediately stretching my arm out as far away from myself as possible.

The rocket shoots at the drone, and a couple of seconds after impact, it explodes into sparks of blue which quickly disintegrated out of existence. "They're beautiful. But..."

I quickly remember that it is late at night, we are in a neighbourhood, and although I have noise-cancelling headphones on, the fireworks were quite loud. E looked at me. "What?" "How the actual fuck is everyone asleep?"

They gave me pretty much the creepiest smile I've seen since the day my dad started literally shredding a deer using nothing but a pebble. "What the fuck-" "Naptime!"

"...Naptime?"

"It's their naptime. They won't wake up."

I tilted my head, heavily doubting that. However, the neighbourhood seemed to still be fast asleep. "Alright. If you say so."

÷÷÷÷÷

i live in a country where the use of fireworks is banned, i never saw people playing with fireworks (im not sure if sparklers count but i never used them) and therefore have no clue how to use them. but if either yn or E could get seriously injured by doing this obviously very dangerous thing, canonically They Dont Give A Shit