10: Betrothed

Y/n sat awake at her desk, the small light from the candle illuminating the book she was reading.

She was just reading to pass the time since she wasn't used to sleeping with someone besides her. Well, more precisely, she hated sleeping with someone even back in her previous life. I guess you could say she was an absolute germaphobe back then but not this much anymore? Confusing subject to talk about.

She looked over the bed, Katarina seemed to be sleeping just fine.

She chuckled.

She was a homebody who wasn't also keen on looking through the internet but she seemed just a tad familiar. Maybe she saw her in a memory of her just passing by something before? Nothing too special?

Who knows.

But what she does know is that foreign outsiders such as her could die from frostbite here in Wintergreen. Even if a thing where if a Wintergreen person gave their blood to help an outsider, that'd be considered a lie.

That's just not a thing.

"I wonder what I should do... A foreigner like you aren't allowed to stay this much more than a week unless you have a valid excuse of being here." She sighed.

That was one of the main problems she was having about Katarina.

Outsiders were not allowed into Wintergreen as visitors like tourists y'know. If one was caught doing so, they'd be banned with their name and face engraved on every paper flying everywhere in the kingdom.

You'd be titled a disgrace of a foreigner I guess.

"Should I just say you're the exchange student? It's been exactly a month after we got a letter from Sorcier of an exchange student but they never came here at all... Not even the ship that person was gonna be boarding ever came to." She was mumbling to herself.

"Mmm..."

She paused hearing murmuring.

Looking back over the bed, Katarina shifted to one of her sides.

Y/n stood up and looked around, the rune engraving was getting old. Shoot, she needed to rewrite them all again by tomorrow to keep the warmth here intact.

But it was dark and turning the lights on wasn't something she wanted to do. Katarina might wake up.

She thought about a few options on what she should do before deciding to just, 'Do it tomorrow after school. Rest for now.'

She held Katarina close, Katarina's hands were shivering a little.

Body warmth? Was that what y/n was trying to do? Well, she read a book about it back in her previous life while she was attending college.

When I tell you it worked, especially when she took one of the suits from the side and covered Katarina with it over the thick layered blanket, I'd say Katarina wasn't shivering by then.

Wintergreen's cold was not for outsiders at all, huh...

...

"I can't wait to go get my fiancée..."

Idly skipping to the mansion doors early in the morning, he was greeted by some of the staff who were preparing everything. Lucas smiled seeing him.

"Oh, Kyle, what brings you here this early?" He laughed waving.

Kyle smiled and said, "I'm here to pick up my fiancée for school!"

Lucas shot up realizing the situation.

"Ah! No wait, Ky--"

Too little too late, Kyle had already rushed up the stairs and to you know where.