Stepping stones

She felt horrible.

Saebyeok didn't know what went in to her that time, on why she never answered Nabi or why she avoided her gaze.

Watching her standing up and walking thowards her own bed made her feel horrible in many ways. She knew Nabi was crying at the time, since she heard her sniffling when she bid Saebyeok goodnight. Though for some reason she never bid her back.

Saebyeok only realized now, that she never felt the need to protect someone in this hell hole other than Nabi, that she's the only one she really cared for. Saebyeok never wanted to be in the company of anyone before other than Nabi's. To her, Nabi is the most understanding person she's ever met, the most prettiest, the most comforting person to be around. She was patient and she's the only one that can manage to light up her day and make her smile....With that, Saebyeok now knew that Nabi's her person, and she was hers too....

But she realized that too late.

She should've listened to what Ji-yeong said, she was right. Saebyeok does have feelings for Nabi.

She wanted to walk over to her and apologize, and that she felt like an idiot for denying her feelings for so long but she was...scared. Scared that she drifted Nabi away, because of her stupidity.

Her thoughts kept her awake as she tossed and turned in her bed unable to sleep. She lifted herself slightly with her elbows for support and looked at where Nabi was, but all she saw was her blanket that was covering her entire body.

As Saebyeok layed back down while closing her eyes, her mind continuously being clouded by....her just her.

ˋ°•*⁀➷. * ˚ ✦.

When Saebyeok sat up rubbing her eyes as the classical music started playing in the background, a familiar buzz of the door interrupted.

All she saw was four guards carrying coffins and walking thowards the direction to where player 69 was hanging by his neck.

Saebyeok thought the man and his wife deserved better, a love like that is hard to find. He really couldn't live another day without her.

As she watched the guards place his body in the coffin, her eyes went to Nabi who was sitting down in her bed while watching the counter of players go down, it went from 18 to 17.

"Attention, all players. The fifth game is about to begin. All players follow the staff's instructions and swiftly make your way thowards the game hall."

While they started to climb the colorful stairs. Nabi could feel someone's eyes burning at the back of her head, though she kept looking down at her shoes not wanting to catch eye contact with the person.

As they emerged at the white room yet again, they were greeted by several mannequins wearing a hot pink vest, each with a number from 1 to 17.

Saebyeok kept her eyes on Nabi when they arrived, from how close they were she could clearly see her puffy eyes, possibly from crying and her slightly pink nose. She wanted to walk over to her and give Nabi a hug and apologize, but the woman on PA started speaking, preventing her from doing so.

"Welcome, players, to the fifth game. Before we begin, please make your way down the steps and choose one of the mannequins that you see presented before you. Once you've chosen, take the corresponding vest. Let me repeat the instructions. please make your way down the steps and choose one of the mannequins that you see presented before you. Once you've chosen, take the corresponding vest."

Hearing someone's footsteps approaching, everyone's eyes went to player 244 who was making his way thowards the mannequin with the vest that had number 6 in it.