six

Inez

Sometimes I like to believe that love exists. I've always been in love with the idea of love. It's to a point if I ever develop feelings for anyone in any way, I'll start questioning if I actually like them or the way I see them in my head.

I'm never sure if I've actually ever been in real love, I've just read about it.

The type of love that you read in books and see in movies and tv shows, high school romance, teenage angst, anything of that particular category.

Whether it's a toxic relationship or a healthy one, it's always been something I've been envious of.

Most of those relationships end up falling apart sooner or later. Ending with their hearts completely shattered, what once was love is now either hate, confusion, disappointment.

That's the only thing on my mind as I'm laying in bed with a book in my hands, attempting to fall asleep.

The book I'm reading is romance, the only genre I've gotten myself to read without getting caught into something else, my short attention span could never get into books that didn't contain any.

It's freezing, maybe two or three am. I couldn't tell you cause my phone is dead and I don't have the energy to turn on the lights, the only light source being the moonlight gaping through the window above my bed.

I hate this.

My body is in between two large pillows and the blanket is barely staying on me.

And, the headache is getting worse, if I finally sleep maybe it'll go away?

Wrong, I can't get myself to sleep.

Really don't want to go to work tomorrow.

Plus, I have to see Ronan, meaning I'll have to interact with him.

Why am I still thinking about him?

I don't fucking know.

He's keeping me up.

Stop.

What is he doing right now?

Sleeping, like someone should at this time. A regular thing to do.

Something you can't do because you can never get yourself to have a proper night of sleep.

Maybe I shouldn't think at all.

-

My black heels hit every step of the stairs leading up to the front of the Vernice Industries building, making a tapping noise.

I step into the tall glass building through the revolving doors, walking up to the reception where the receptionist sat at.

"Good morning." The blonde woman greets. "Where do you need to go?" She asks, looking up at me to meet my gaze.

"Oh, where is um, Ronan Vernice's room?" I questioned her.

"Room-" She glances over at her monitor. "105. Do you have an appointment with him?"

I nod in response.

She checks the monitor in front of her, looking me up and down again, as if she was making sure of something.

I raise an eyebrow and she answers.

"You go up those stairs, turn left. Walk down the hall, third door on your right." She gives directions.

"Thank you so much." I replied, heading towards the stairs and slowly walking up. I shouldn't have worn these fucking heels.

They hurt so badly, I don't know why I'm even wearing them right now.