fourteen

Inez
tw: mentions of drugs
three years ago

I'm met with a sudden headache as I sit up on my bed, everything in the room began to spin. I put two fingers on my temple to fixate my gaze on an object in the room. I tuck a few pieces of hair behind my ear, everything finally stops spinning.

As soon as my vision returns to normal, yelling filled my ears. My mother and father's voices back to back was all I heard, I was in the small bedroom where there was only a bed in the middle. Boyband posters covering the walls and a large window behind my bed.

My bedroom.

Looking over to the tall mirror beside me, I got up from my bed. My hair up to my shoulders and it was frizzy. Normally it's this frizzy when I wake up, I don't remember falling asleep.

If I went to sleep why the fuck am I still tired?

The dim lit room in front of me had wooden floors and wooden walls, a small magenta couch and wooden coffee table the same color the floors.

I stood by the door frame, watching the scene happen right before my eyes.

The other room was my parents', well my parent. Since my dad slept on the couch, wait what's going on?

"This is all your fucking fault!" He yelled, throwing the cellphone in his hands across the room. Causing it to break into shambles, he stomps on it a few times.

My mother stood there in front of him, holding back tears.

"You think I knew? I knew that she'd do them?" Her voice breaks.

"She's so irresponsible." He states.

She glances down to the ground, not being able to form words.

"What the fuck- what the fuck is wrong with you?" He yells, his hands are now gripping her shoulders.

She crosses her arms in front of her chest, "Name one fucking time you were there for her, one time you showed up! And you're calling her irresponsible, for this."Her voice breaks.

"You're defending her?"

She looks at him dead in the eyes and he goes silent.

He doesn't say a word, letting go of her shoulders so she pushes back and her back meets the wall. He falls down onto the couch, his palms on his temple.

They're talking about her.

A sigh leaves her lips, a single tear drop rolling down her cheek.

She immediately wipes it off, an imitation of a smile forms on her lips as she makes eye contact with me.

"Inez, can you check up on your sister?"

I nodded, releasing my hold from the door frame, I headed over to my sister Maya's bedroom.

I tapped a few times on the halfway open wooden door.

"Maya?" I cleared my throat, hiding the fact that I'm so fucking scared right now.

"Inez." I hear her answer, turning the doorknob and stepping into her room.

Clothes are all over the floor and pills are all gathered on one side table and a bowl of noodles on the other.

Her blanket is on the floor, the sheets barely on her mattress and another blanket wrapped around her body.

She starts to shiver, her eyes are shut tightly as she paces back and forth on the bed.

I sit by her on the bed, wrapping an arm around her back and setting my head down on her shoulder.

She drops her head down on mine.