nine

Inez

Running a hand through my loose and unruly hair, I almost forget about the timer that was set in front of my oven. Which meant I had to check on the cake I was baking soon.

The timer goes off and I quickly make my way to the oven, turning it off.

I pull it open by the handle with a small kitchen towel, using the oven mitts to take it out. I grab a toothpick that was by the counter, poking it right through the middle of the cake and noticing there was no residue.

Baking has always been a hobby of mine, something I'd do to get my mind off of things. Right now I was baking because I couldn't get myself to sleep, but then again when am I really able to sleep?

I made a red velvet cake, I think I own like every flavor of cake mix in my pantry.

Setting it down on the dining table, I pull the mittens off and take my phone out of my pocket to take a picture of it.

Right when I'm about to take the picture, I receive a text from an unsaved number.

Who's texting me in the middle of the night?

Unknown Number: Which unit number is yours?

Me: who are you ??

Unknown Number: You're awake

Me: tell me who you are first and i'll answer ur other questions

The person reads my text but doesn't respond, and I hear my doorbell ring.

This is scaring me.

When I try to figure out who was at the door, the door bell rings a couple more times.

Maybe I should go get that and it's not as bad as I'm suspecting.

The worst thing could be that I'm like getting evicted or something, but that wouldn't happen because I just payed the rent for this month right?

What if I get kidnapped?

No, shut the fuck up and stop jumping to conclusions.

I put an end from overthinking further and twist the doorknob to open the door. Ronan stands in front of me with a file in his hands, tossing it to me.

Given how late it was, he still appeared to have slept and not seemed tired at all. He was dressed in an open black leather jacket, a band tee underneath it and dark washed jeans.

"Ronan, what-"

He doesn't say anything, walking in while pushing past me. My eyebrows furrow, causing my forehead to crease while I look at him with confusion in my eyes.

I shut the door and he sits at the dining table, right in front of my cake I haven't even begun to decorate yet.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him, he ignores my question.

"This smells good."

"Yes, I made it. Now tell me what you're doing here." I reply, getting straight to the point.

He gets up from where he was sitting, catching me off guard so he was standing in front of me.

He leans forward so his face was only a couple millimeters away from mine, making eye contact with me. I feel the file in my hands getting snatched away from my grasp. As he opens it up again he hands me the papers inside to read.