Cake and wine

Narrator POV

„You should have told me that you didn't go to New York. Ben and I can understand that you don't want to see anyone. We would have let you, you should know that."

Vivian inquired as she dived into the cake she brought with her. Something that became tradition between the two best friends is to bring a cake along with some alcohol if something bad happens or if someone's in a bad mood. They didn't know exactly how it started but they got used to it.
Aubrey nod while she took a bite from her cake with the fork.

„I know. I should have told you but I wasn't thinking correctly at that moment. I was just overwhelmed and I still am." she answered with a full mouth.

„So she was here?" she picked in deeper into the topic while taking a sip off the wine bottle they shared.

„She did. It was a mess. I didn't let her in. But we talked and I don't know how to feel. Vi I fucking fell for her and I miss the time I shared with her but I don't know if I can get over it."

„You don't need to forgive any time soon. I'm mad at her and mad at myself. I thought she was the right one for you. Maybe some time later in life you will cross paths again and maybe you will be ready to move on from what has happened recently. So don't push yourself when your not comfortable with it." vi knew Aubrey way to well. She could read her like an open book and it was the same way around. They both sat on the balcony having their deep talk while they enjoyed their company with some wine and cake. The sun was setting and it felt like a genuine conversation.

„Vi. I wanna be honest." Aubrey blurred out after some forks of cake.

„Sure go ahead You can always be honest with me." she answered while she watched her body language carefully.

„If I say it out loud I won't be able to take it back but..." Aubrey began and stopped in her track for a moment.

„You love her don't you?" Vivian pulled the words out of Aubrey's mouth and the shock was written across her face. She gets surprised from time to time on how good she knows her.

„Mhh I do. That's why it pains me so much." Aubrey answered after sipping on the wine.

„It's not a love comparable to any I've ever felt before. Not like I used to love Nate or my other ex's. I forget the world around me when she looks into my eyes. I melt when I hear her gentle voice. I've never had someone who made me feel so worthy. Seen and heard. She listened to everything and she was invested. She asks me how I feel and not the question you get ask everyday where you
just answer with ‚I'm fine' it's a question that's comes from the heart and she wants to know how you deeply feel right now. But then again. Vi she is engaged. It's a fucking mess. I can't do that." a tear fell down onto the balcony below them. Aubrey was pouring her heart out and it wasn't like she wished it was.

„Did you tell her that?" vi asked and Aubrey quirked her brows not understanding what she meant.

„What?" she asks back.

„Exactly what you've told me seconds ago. How she makes you feel? Did you tell that?" she repeated her question.

„It wouldn't change anything vi. I wanted her to leave."

„Clearly you didn't want her to leave. To me it seems like you still want her." vi answered with her mouth full of cake.

Aubrey let out a scoff to Vi's answer.
„Of course I do. I'd be fucking dumb if I wouldn't want her back. But I can't watch past the fact that she is engaged to that wanna be Jesus."

Vi let out a chuckle to the last sentence.

„Wanna be Jesus? Is it so bad?" she asks her best friend.