(𝟣𝟤) 𝒾 𝒶𝓂 𝒶 𝓁𝑜𝓈𝓉 𝒷𝑜𝓎 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓃𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓁𝒶𝓃𝒹

"come on! you can come see our hideout, it's really cool!"

---

as soon as smeengi saw the wicked lost boys jump onto their beloved pirate ship, he knew that he needed to get captain hookjoong away from the fight scene immediately. though they were literally kids, their combined force was something far more intimidating than themselves.

so he decided to try and save his captain's life and hid him away from the threat, dragging him all the way down to the musty storage rooms.

was this the right choice?

"smeengi! i swear to god, why are we in here!?"

probably not.

to smeengi, being a first mate was not a glorified position of power or an exemplified fact of favoritism, no. he thought of it more as a bigger responsibility for his leader. he took the position with pride, ready to do everything for captain hookjoong because he felt like his life was of absolute lesser importance and value than his. the captain was everything to him.

smeengi was fully committed to the captain and he didn't really know why. he always admired the captain's work and leadership, as he was always so hardworking and commanding, but sometimes he took his work too far. sometimes, the captain took no rest from staying up late reviewing battle plans or overseeing the tasks of the other crew members, and smeengi hated seeing him look so exhausted. sometimes he wished he could take his place and just sleep for him, allowing him to finally rid of those night-colored circles under his eyes.

smeengi also found himself staring at the captain for more, um, physical reasons. the captain's rigid and leaderlike stature, plus his undeniably rugged yet handsome features all made him someone that would undeniably attract attention. but to smeengi, there were even smaller things that kept him staring, like from the way his flowing red coat waved in the icy gusts, or from the way his leader would fiddle with his metal hook when he was making decisions. those little things are what kept him there, still admiring the man he called his captain.

smeengi knew that there was something there, something inside his very being that was causing him to stare at him for unreasonable amounts of time and his burning desire to want to keep captain hookjoong safe. there had to be something there that made him feel tingles in his heart when he receives compliments from the leader or when he grins at the sometimes small joys that occur. there had to be something there.

he just didn't know what that was.

so that's why smeengi felt conflicted as he forced his leader away from the battle on the ship. he wanted to keep him away from harm, but at the same time, he regretted it from the anticipated harsh words that he just knew were coming.

smeengi turned to his leader slowly, his eyes glued to the floor. "s-sorry, sir. i just didn't want you getting hu-"

captain hookjoong sighed loudly, his voice booming as his dark boots clacked against the wooden floor. "smeengi."

meekly, the mentioned crewmate slowly looked up. "yes?"

the captain used his hook to lift smeengi's chin up, forcing the two to make eye contact. "how am i supposed to kill that fucking pest, peter san if i'm not out there?"

smeengi blinked. "um-"

"answer me!"

smeengi nervously gulped, forcing himself to look away. "sir, i just don't think it would be safe to attack peter san when the lost boys are here. that's all. i just want you to be safe-"

the captain snarled, sending an icy chill straight down his spine. "i'm fine, smeengi! i can protect myself just fine! the plans were going absolutely swell and now i have to wait for another one in a million opportunity to get my revenge on that disgusting pest, goddamn it!"

"i-"

before smeengi could say anything else, his leader stomped off to another part of the ship, leaving him all alone.

smeengi, sighed, running a tired hand through his knotted hair.

why couldn't the captain just see that he was trying to look out for him?

a/n i love you <3

unedited