chapter sixteen

"Wilhelm." Simon placed a hand on the crown prince's shoulder. "What did Annika mean earlier?"

He noticed Wilhelm stiffen at his question which only made his curiosity grow.

What would happen if the queen knew we were talking again?

Simon could tell Wilhelm didn't want to answer. "You don't have to say if you don't want t-"

"She'll kick you out of Hillerska." Wilhelm's voice was firm with a slight hint of fear. "I don't want that to happen to you Simon, I'll never see you again. Ever."

Simon's heart dropped.

Kick me out? What was she trying to do? Make her son miserable? Make me miserable? To be honest, she probably wouldn't give a shit about me.

"Oh." Was all he could let out.

Wilhelm held on to the table with a firm grip that made his knuckles turn slightly white. "I'm sorry, I hate this so mu-"

"I know." He interrupted. "I know you do. And I hate how there's nothing we can do about it."

Wilhelm sighed shakily. "I miss you when something really good happens, because you're the one I want to share it with. I miss you when something is troubling me, because you're the one who understands me so well. I miss you when I laugh and cry, because I know that you're the one that makes my laughter grow, and my tears disappear." He drew in a quiet breath before continuing. "I miss you all the time, but I miss you most when I lay awake at night, and think of all the wonderful times that we spent with each other for those were some of the best and most memorable times of my life."

Simon said exactly what he was thinking. "Do you really mean that?"

He chuckled in response. "Of course I do. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true."

"You know, you're the kind of person I wanna be with when I want to be alone. "

Wilhelm smiled, and held his hand like he was made of pure glass. "I feel the exact same way about you."

———————————————————-

It was a Tuesday afternoon and all of Wilhelm's classes were over so he was taking some study time in order to catch up. He was sitting on one of the tables in the library, studying for one of his exams the following week until somebody interrupted him.

"Look, August. It's your little cousin." Johan spat, referring to the boy tucked up in with of the armchairs paying no attention to them whatsoever. "Don't act like you can't hear me."

Wilhelm lifted his head slightly. "Who are you again? Josh? Joan?"

He scowled before tightening his jaw. "Johan, you asshole."

He scratched his head before speaking again in a calm tone. "Nah, that name doesn't ring any bells."

"Johan." August interrupted, tapping his shoulder gently. "Just leave him alone."

"Shut the fuck up, August." Johan snapped causing August to jolt back, taking his hand off of Johan. Johan then whipped his head back around to Wilhelm. "Anyway, how's your little relationship going with Simon?"

"Wouldn't you like to know." Wilhelm didn't really want to answer the dumb, idiotic questions he was about to be asked. He tapped his foot and let out an exaggerated sigh, trying to hint to Johan that he wasn't in the mood to play games. He decided to switch the topic up quickly before he could pester Wilhelm any more. "Don't mean to be rude but, I thought you two hated each other?" Wilhelm pointed between the two boys in front of him. "Ever since you found out it was August who leak-"

"We don't need to give details." August murmured, showing some irritation in his voice. "It's none of your business anyway."

Johan then entered the chat again.

"Stay away from Simon, Wilhelm. You're gonna hurt him even more than you already have."

"We've been through this." Wilhelm sighed, slapping a hand on his face. "I said no. I can do what I want, when I want. Why do you even care?"

"I'm better for him. We deserve each other. You just keep having to ruin things and get in the way of our relationship."

Wilhelm chuckled but it was humourless. "What relationship?"

He noticed Johan clench his teeth and pull his hand into a fist before getting dragged away by August who gave Wilhelm an apologetic look.

————————————————-

Simon was currently tucked away in one of the chairs in his room. He was reading a book until he was interrupted by knocks. Confused because he normally doesn't get visitors, he opened it and Sara was standing there with her arms crossed and her eyes looking sad. Simon have no sympathy however and was about to shut the door on her until she blocked it with her foot. Opening it again, she finally spoke up. "I'm sorry, Simon."

Simon narrowed his eyes at her. "Sorry isn't going to cut it."

"I'm sorry because I have a bad feeling about Annika." She sighed, playing with the zipper of her jacket. "She's making me uneasy and I just want you to be happy. And if being with Wilhelm makes you happy, it makes me happy too. But Annika keeps trying to get in the way of that."

He was confused. Simon thought Queen Kristina just forced Wilhelm into a relationship. Surely Annika didn't actually like him, did she? Was he dumber than he thought?

"What do you mean?" He managed to get out without breaking eye contact.

Sara was struggling to find the words to talk so she took a minute to answer, her voice a bit shaky. "W-Well, Annika and I have to spend time together because she's my roommate but all she talks about is him. Always saying how they're going to get married in the future. She also mentioned you at some point and how you were trying to intrude but she brushed it off immediately." She looked down at her shoes. "Probably because she knew I was your brother."

Simon nodded understandingly before asking another question. "I have to ask you something." He started but quickly finished after Sara gave him a nod. "Why do you keep running back to him?"

She shook her head in a hurry. "I.. I don't know." She stammered. "I really don't. I don't know what love is or what it feels like but it's hard to stop. It feels wrong? Like I'm not supposed to be with him."

"He's a bad person, Sara. I feel like you're not supposed to end up with each other."

Sara chuckled to herself quietly, probably thinking Simon couldn't hear. "Yeah. You're right."

And then she disappeared. Until Felice arrived and boy if looks could kill, Sara would be six feet under. She scowled at her back as she walked down the corridor before facing me.

"We need to talk."

I AM SO SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE I FEEL HORRIBLE ABOUT IT! I'll start writing the next chapter straight away. Sorry if the story's confusing I'm trying to make it as neat as possible but sometimes during writing I get a bit carried away.

Thanks so much for reading and I love you.