chapter nineteen

Wilhelm's POV:

It was cold, and dark. The rain was falling but I couldn't feel the difference between the water from the sky or from my eyes. How did this happen?

Johan ran me out of Hillerska and I didn't want to go back and face my parents. They wouldn't understand, let alone that I'm supposed to be dating Annika and forgetting about Simon which I'm most definitely not doing at all.

I was shaking from the freezing weather and the clouds were only beginning to darken. Great.

The sun was setting and I was all alone, sitting in an abandoned alleyway without knowing where the fuck I was. I have nobody.

It's already been three days since I, the crown prince, was announced missing and it hurt that I couldn't tell anybody where I was. I stood up and made my way out, trodding along the wet footpath in the pouring rain, making my way to the only person who will listen.

I snuck around to the back of the palace and into the garden. The tombstone sitting there, piled with a wide variety of flowers and chocolates. I couldn't help but feel my lips curl upwards at knowing people cared for him.

As I knelt down, I played with the grass as I silently sobbed.

"Hi." Was all I could say. I still hadn't gotten over his death. "I'm not.. I'm not doing so great."

What can I do to cheer you up then? Was what I imagined he would say with a small smile.

"I like this boy, Erik. I.. I like him a lot." I stammered, my tears piling up onto the grass, the rain washing it away. "I know you would accept me, but ever since I said the three words to him everything has just gone downhill."

I started to tell him about Simon and I's first meeting and the time we spent together leading up to this very exact moment.

"Johan made me leave. He.. He said if I didn't he would.. he would do something bad to Simon. Really bad."

If you don't leave by sunrise tomorrow, then Simon will get it. You know what I'm capable of, don't you? His words filled my head.

"He's done it before, Erik. I didn't want to hurt Simon but I probably just hurt him even more by running away like a coward and not protecting him."

He could do all sorts of things to Simon such as  drugging him like he did to me, sexually assaulting him, or any other sick thing that dick would do. And the worst part is, I can't do anything about it.

Love that we cannot have is the one that lasts the longest, hurts the deepest, and feels the strongest. Erik used to always tell me that and I wish that I could actually let him know how right he was.

"What do I do, Erik? Please help me. I fucking wish you were here. It should've been me that was in the car that night, not you. You didn't deserve it." I sobbed, feeling my clothes become wet and my socks become soggy but I couldn't care less. "I'm the trouble maker brother and somehow you, the perfect soon to be crown prince died instead of me. Me of all people."

I winced as the thunder shook the Earth loudly.

"W-Wille?" A mystery voice whispered from a few metres behind me. I turned around and sighed deeply at the sight.

"I don't want to talk to you. Out of everybody, you are the last person I want to talk to."

I could feel her footsteps grow closer as I abruptly stood up from the grass. "Wilhelm, please. Let's talk about thi-"

"Talk? Talk? Mother you are sick." Anger flourished within me as my body grew hot. I wanted to scream, cry, and hug her all at the same time. I could feel the throbbing veins in my neck. "You never let me do what I want. Do you care about how I feel, like, at all? It's not fair! If you keep treating me like some object that you show off to the world, then I don't want to be apart of your family anymore!"

Her eyes softened for a slight second until her face was replaced only with fury as she jabbed a finger at me. "You need to respect me, I do so much shit for you and you need to be grateful. Being prince is not a punishment but a p-"

"Privilege! Yes, I know!" I laughed bitterly. "You don't know how many times I've heard that. I don't need to be reminded but I love him!"

Once I realised what I had said it was too late. I whipped my hand over my mouth as my mother's eyes darkened. "So this is what it's all been about. That boy is the reason you are acting this way and being so disrespectful. He needs to be-"

I gritted my teeth. "No! Don't do anything to him, it isn't his fault!"

"Ever since you boarded at Hillerska, your life has only ever been trouble." Kristina shouted, the clouds pouring with small droplets of water that hit the pair every millisecond. The grass became squishy under my feet. "I'm pulling you ou-"

I let out another bitter laugh. "You say that like it's going to change me. You can't change who I am! It was between love or duty. I chose duty but I was wrong! I choose love, mom! I choose him! And there's nothing you can ever fucking say to change my mind."

"Then don't come back." She scowled under her breath, eyes squinting in the rain. "Once you act like a royal, you are allowed back into your home."

"That," I pointed at the palace behind her as she turned to the direction my finger was pointing in. "That is not my home, and now, thanks to you, it never will be. Goodbye Kristina. Live a good life."

And with that I sprinted. I ran as far as my legs could take me until I eventually reached Bjärstad, Simon's house in view. I swiftly knocked on the door impatiently, Linda opening in confusion but as soon as she saw me with red, puffy eyes, soaked in the rain, her eyes softened as she hurriedly let me in and brewed up some coffee for me.

"Aw, you poor thing." She whispered, draping a towel over my shoulders with a worried look on her face. "I never really like your mom anyway, no offence."

I flinched. "She's not my mother anymore."

Linda sat down next to Wilhelm in the couch, handing him some coffee. "Want me to call Simon?"

I looked over and smiled, nodding as she took out her phone and dialled Simon's number. I could vaguely make out Simon's distorted voice over the phone.

"He'll be here soon." She reassured me, patting my shoulder. "I'm sorry you had to go through this."

I smiled gratefully whilst thanking her until a few minutes passed and the front door creaked open and the curly haired boy ran in. Once he saw me he rushed by my side and sat down next to me whilst Linda decided to go back into the kitchen.

"What happened?" He asked and that's when I lost it. I bursted into tears and leaned onto him in agony as he slowly rubbed my shoulder up and down.

HELLO BESTIES! Okay so this chapter is finished and I'm pretty proud of it. Some intimate scenes between Wilhelm and his mother so that's always fun, right? Anyway, have a great holidays everybody and I hope you have a great rest of your day.