C • 9 : Bite the Nails, Chew the Finger

Christopher opened his eyes to another blood-splattered room, he was drained, he had spent the past few days being transported to a large room, blacking out, and waking up to blood and gore. Every day, he woke up more and more tired.

I wonder what the others are doing? Elizabeth's probably eating.

He huffed and dropped to his knees as Agent Nine walked into the expansive white room and began dragging him away. They walked through the white halls in relative silence as soldiers and even an agent passed by. The agent was carrying a small child, a young boy with blonde hair.

When they reached his cell, Nine told him, "There's an attack coming soon, that'll be our chance, I'll tell you more when I bring your food," the cell door's lock clicked.

Christopher nodded and sat next to Anna who was quietly humming the lullaby he would sing while playing with her hair. In the past few days, she had grown a couple of inches taller which, according to Nine, meant her enhanced growth had activated.

Her blue eyes and cheeks had sunk and thinned, though dark circles had formed beneath her eyes. Her arms had also been modified to fit her body, being made thinner and light. Her legs were dotted with machinery that would inject stimulants and medicines into her during battle to keep her moving and fighting, no matter what.

Like Christopher, she had mechanical horns that would act as antennas for earpieces and microphones that had been attached to their heads which allow them to communicate on missions. The Order had equipped them with plenty of equipment and was clearly planning on using them for more than covert missions.

Anna abruptly stopped humming.

"Hey, Christopher, what did Nine mean when he said the attack would be our chance?" She asked, a hint of melody still in her voice.

"We're gonna escape during the chaos of whatever battle is coming," he told her, keeping his head and voice low.

Anna's eyes brightened, "Really?" She excitedly whispered, "Will Nine be coming with us?"

Christopher looked at the bars, he honestly didn't know. What was the agent's plan? He spoke of Jake being someone who couldn't be saved, but Christopher would often catch Nine watching Jake as they passed each other in the halls. Nine's eyes were covered by his mask, but Christopher could tell that there was sadness in them.

"I don't know," he shook his head.

Footfalls began to approach the cell and Christopher's heart lifted when Nine stepped in front of the bars with metal trays of food.

"I can't stay for too long, so here's the gist of what we know," Nine said as he gave the two their trays.

The San Antonio rebellion was launching a retrieval mission to save Anna and Christopher. They, along with other city rebellions, would be attacking from the east, but the Order would prep for a battle on both the eastern and western sides of the facility. As the battle raged on, a group of elites and Chimeras would enter the facility and take the two humanths out, the Revolution forces would then finish the battle in a final push.

"So our best bet would be to find the Chimeras? The Order might try to move us before the battle," Christopher said.

"No, I know what they're doing to you, Christopher. The Order is using you as a weapon against your own people, they'll take you outside to fight and probably have either me or Jake take Anna deeper into the facility," Nine paused, "I don't know what we'll do, but I'll try to figure something out. In the meantime, eat, rest, you'll need it."

Christopher nodded and began to eat alongside Anna. Christopher and Anna are in silence, Christopher gave her some of his food, he was barely hungry, and Anna needed food more than he did.