C • 24 : Save the Daughter, Condemn the Son

Elizabeth grabbed Animus, dispersing her crystal sword, and jumped back, ignoring his gasps of pain.

"Sorry, just bear with it!" She groaned as she placed on the ground of an alley.

She ran up the side of the building in front of her before switching to the one behind her and clambering onto the roof.

I need to lead her away from Animus while still keeping her away from civilians!

The Agent appeared out of a cloud of ash to Elizabeth's right. She looked at Elizabeth with calm orange eyes as the stable roofing beneath their feet shifted, the X's on the woman's face glowed wildly. Just beneath her veil-marks, several false marks had appeared in a vibrant column. Suddenly, for a mere quarter of a second, Elizabeth and the Agent were connected to all Kerronasen of Earth and Anthraahla alike. The Veil called to them. She had no choice, she had to meet the agent full force.

Elizabeth's veil-marks ignited, and a long column of X's formed along her forearms. She jumped away and the Agent mirrored her, landing on concrete that twisted into the air and from the building, while Elizabeth used her veil-marks to tear the building open, creating her own landing and gently lowering the people that remained inside. The Agent shot at Elizabeth and Elizabeth twisted around the woman, re-summoning her blade and slashing down as the building below them turned into a jumble of string-like metal, glass, and stone. The woman shifted away from the blade and balled her hands into fists. The strings flattened out and came together, creating a large carpet for her to walk on as the far end coiled around Elizabeth.

Elizabeth spun around and turned the concrete carpet back into the building it was before. She landed on the building, and the Agent landed on a building across the street. Elizabeth could barely move, her breaths were heavy, and every inch of her body was twitching with power and pain.

This is bad, I can use my magic, but I've never let the Veil run through me like this! Her movements are so fluid, she's definitely trained to use this power.

Two clones of the Agent appeared next to Elizabeth, their veil-marks glowing just as brightly as the original.

"From what I've heard, you can activate your veil-marks, but you've never once unleashed them!" They whispered.

Elizabeth slashed through them, turning them back into ash, as she did, the real Agent appeared behind her.

"Let me show you what it means to unleash the Veil," the Agent fell low and kicked Elizabeth's gut before jumping back to the ground.

Elizabeth gritted her teeth and jumped after her.

Don't let her land, don't let her land!

Elizabeth aimed her hands at the Agent, her stomach growled, and six crystalline spike chains shot from her palms and towards the Agent. The woman touched down and swiped her hand at the chains, forcing them to disappear.

The ground rumbled and cracked, massive spikes rose from the ground and followed Elizabeth as she used her magic to force herself through the air. She dropped down, dodging around the stone spikes. The spikes retracted, then forged themselves into a pillar that rushed at and smacked into her gut. The spire then reformed a mass of spikes that stabbed into Elizabeth's right hand, dangling her in place. She placed her hand on the spike and sent her magic through it as more spikes approached.

The spikes stopped and broke apart as Elizabeth's spell broke the ground beneath the Agent's feet. The Agent jumped up as the road beneath her turned into a sinking crater, and Elizabeth fell to the roof. She was drained, she couldn't move an inch.