017

"Your Highness, who is this?"

   Scott whirled around to be face to face with Clive. His arms crossed and his graying hair pulled neatly back in a small ponytail.
   "Uhm," Scott scratched the base of his horns, it had become a habit of his. "You know I told you about the whole 'Plus One' situation."
   "Yes" Clive said coldly, not moving his eyes away from the young king.
   "This is Rel, my plus one?" Scott said beckoning to Rel who was standing in the corner in their traveling outfit. They slowly walked towards the bed, folding the clothing neatly and laying it in their leather bag. Scott turned back around.
   "Class?"
   "Upper" Scott didn't know what class Rel was but he knew for sure it wasn't upper. He also knew that Clive was very picky. He wanted Rel to make a good impression.
   "Relationship?"
   "Friend?" That just wasn't true but Scott wasn't going to admit that, especially to Clive. Clive narrowed his eyes.
   "Okay, I shall get another horse ready for... Rel"

.:():.

   Rel sat on top of a beautiful grey stallion, his mane blowing in the wind as they galloped along the dirt road. They were on Scott's right, slightly behind him in respect. They didn't want to seem to cocky. He was riding a large white mare. Celine was flying above them in circles, occasionally swooping down to rest on Rel's shoulder. Behind Rel and Scott, rode two royal guards. Rel thought that their names were Calvin and Cameron, one thing they did know was that the guards were twins and they were very high ranking officers.
   Rel was wearing the traveling outfit that Scott had put together for them and their hair was newly brushed, although messy because of the winds. Scott was wearing a cyan button up shirt with a white cape and white pants. His horns were newly polished, for the first time ever, and his hair pulled back out of his face. Scott turned and smiled at Rel before looking back at the path ahead.
   As they were riding a large black spire came into view. It had a dark wooden roof with a sharp point, and the walls seemed to be made of black stone. They rode out of the forest, to be met with a grand gate, the towers on either side shining black in the sun and the black iron gate emitting a feeling of evil and death. This was Mythland.

   Rel sat on their horse, staring around, wonder filled their eyes.The giant stone wall towered above the small group, a loud voice was heard laughing from the top of the gate and a head appeared over the edge of the wall. The man was laughing. He seemed to be in his late thirties and he had a joyful smile on his face. He had brown hair that laid neatly on his head, his crown placed lightly on top of his head. He had a heavy looking red velvet cape that hung on his shoulders, clasped at his chest. His blue-grey eyes were alight with joy as he spotted Scott.
"My friend!" He said waving enthusiastically, "How are you King Sco— who is this?" Scott smiled and waved back at the Emperor.
"Hello King Sausage, this is my friend Rel" Scott said gesturing to Rel who adjusted their hair ever so slightly and fixed their traveling cloak.
"Well nice to meet you friend Rel! Welcome to Mythland!" The King,  Sausage, made a circular gesture towards the gate guard, "Come in, come in!"
"Thank you Sausage, nice to see you again!" Scott smiled,
"You as well my friend, take the first right and the second left and continue until you come to the church, my guards will tell you what to do from there."
"Thank you, your highness." Rel said formally, "It was amazing to meet you" Their hands shook as they spoke confidently. Scott seemed to notice, as he laid his hand overtop of theirs for a split second before facing the gate and kicking his horse forward as it began to rise.

Rel grilled the reins tightly between their fingers as the church came into view. The black steeple piercing the sky. The dark oak trees that surrounded it, giving it a creepy vibe. The red glass windows just added to the fear threatening to spill into Rels brain. They stopped at the last turn, dismounting from their horse, along with Scott. The two of them handed their horses reigns to the guards who left in the direction of the stables. Scott was a fairly young ruler however he didn't need constant babysitting.
Scott walked over to Rel who was clutching the edge of their cloak in their fists. He stepped in front of them, carefully uncoiling the fabric from their hands and lacing his fingers with theirs.
"Are you okay?" He said quietly, making eye contact with Rel.
"Y-yeah, I just..." Rel said quietly, "I have never met royalty before, well, other than you" Scott chuckled and squeezed their hand in his.
"You'll be fine, my Owl" Scott's face immediately reddened as he realized what he said. "Oh my Aeor I am so sorry I—"
"Scott, It's fine" Rel said, returning the hand squeeze, "I like it"
A squeal was heard from behind Scott causing Rel to immediately pull out their daggers and push Scott behind them. Once they saw who it was their eyes widened and their face changed to a look of utter shock.
   "Shelby...?" The queen was standing a few feet from from Rel, a huge smile on her face.
   "REL!!!" Shubble squealed and tackled Rel in a hug.
   "I'm sorry... do you two know each other?" Scott exclaimed stepping forward, "King Scott of Rivendell, nice to meet you...?"
   "Shubble, Queen Shubble of New Undergrove, Nice to meet you your majesty." Shelby curtsied, pulling her dress out to her sides. She was much shorter than both Rel and Scott and she was wearing a light brown, sleeveless dress with a white tunic underneath. Her mushroom crown sat atop her neatly braided hair and her yellow eyes glowed with excitement. She grabbed Rel's arm, dragging them away from Scott. She squealed again, quieter this time.
   "You two are so cuuute!" Shelby exclaimed spinning in a circle.
   "W-what?" Rel said their face turning red. Shelby put her hands on her hips.
   "You know what I am talking abou— HEY GEM!" Shubble waved at a tall mysterious woman wearing a dark purple traveling cloak that covered her shoulders and fell to the ground dragging slightly behind her. The hood of the cloak was up over her head and am sat her face in shadow. Under the cloak she wore a floor length, forest green dress with a neckline that plunged down to almost her bellybutton.  She had extremely long red hair that fell in a braid down her right shoulder. The woman, Gem, was carrying a tall dark oak staff with a crystal embedded in the top, surrounded by sparkling energy. Gem looked up from her staff, catching eyes with Shubble who waved again. Gem smiled, at least, Rel thought she smiled, they couldn't really tell.
   "Hello Queen Shubble" Gem said as she swept over to where Rel and Shelby were standing.
   "Please!" Shelby said, smiling, "As I said when we met, call me Shelby! OH! Introductions!" Shelby exclaimed, her face lighting up. "Rel! This is Professor Gemini of the Academy of the Crystal Cliffs, she is also the ruler of the small empire! Gem this is Rel! Um, they are a high class elf from Rivendell, who is dating King Scott???" Shelby looked back a Rel giving them a devilish smirk.
   "N-n-no...?" Rel said covering their face as they felt it heat up. Gemini looked at Rel in surprise before chuckling. She pulled the hood of her cloak down. Her forest green eyes shining with amusement.
   "Don't push her Shelby" Gem said, walking over to Rel and punching them lightly in the shoulder. "Is that what made Shubble squeal and run away?"
   "P-probably, a-and I am not a girl, I go by them and them" Gemini looked at Rel nonchalantly,
   "I know." She said smoothly, "You're Non-binary"
   "W-what?"
   "Non-binary; you don't identify as Male or Female" Gem answered, "Gandalf get out of there," She looked around at a tree. A small grey cat jumped out of a knot in the wood, before running up to the wizard and jumping onto her arm, crawling up to her shoulder where it sat. "This is my Familiar, Gandalf". Rel smiled.
   "He is very cute..." The cat gave them a dirty look,
   "He also understands common tongue and doesn't like to be called cute" Gem gave Rel a crooked smile, "Dont take it personally. Oh I have to go and find Pearl to talk about her crops this year. See ya Rel!" Gem waved her staff in the air, disappearing in a cloud of purple smoke.
   "I'm sorry Rel but I have to go as well, Blanca probably needs my help finding our Inn." Rel stood frozen in place as the queen walked away down the path. Rel turned to see Scott talking with a few men who were dress quite fancy and had crowns on their heads.
Rel walked over to Scott, brushing his hand with their fingers as they came up beside him. They waved,
"Hello, your majesty's" Rel said, bowing slightly. The three kings turned to look at them. One of them laughed. He wore a sandy colored robe that fell to his shins, and loose brown pants. He had a neatly trimmed brown beard, and hair that was slightly graying.
"Hello!" He said smiling, "there is no need for bowing, we are all friends here! My name is King Pixl of Pixandria it is a pleasure to meet you." Rel smiled and shook Pixl's outstretched hand.
"Pleasure to meet you as well your majesty." Rel looked over at the other two kings. They grabbed Scott's hand tightly as they greeted the kings. "You as well, um"
"Count Fwhip" One of the men said, he had long light brown hair that was pulled back into a bun. A pair of black and red goggles sat on top of his head like a crown, and a long red cape fell down his back. He wore black, scaled armor with red accents but the most noticing thing about The Count was that a pair of large dragon wings sprouted from his back. They were black with red fiber, and they spread behind him like a living cape.
"Rel" Rel stuck out their hand,
"Oh, we don't do that in the Grimlands" Fwhip said, before placing his hands at his chest like he was praying. He wrapped his large wings around his body to connect to his hands, before bowing ever so slightly and returning his wings to their previous position.
"Cool!" Rel said before looking at the final man. He had messy, dirty blonde hair and acid green eyes. He wore nothing but a pair of dark red shoulder plates and a leather skirt type thing. He wore no shoes and had a huge smile on his face.
"Hi!" He said, before sticking out his hand, "I'm Emperor Joey of the Lost Empire" Rel shook his hand,
"Nice to meet you your highness" Rel stepped back, still gripping Scott's hand in their own, and watched the conversation.
"Rel is my plus one" Scott said flickering his eyes towards Rel.
"He is very pretty" Joey said winking,
"No Joey" Scott exclaimed, "No" Joey snickered and turned around. He started to walk away but stopped.
"Don't worry, Scott" Joey said, "I'm not after your man, I have one at home"
Pixl and Fwhip sensed the tension between Joey and Scott and decided to leave to find where they were staying for the weekend. Scott turned to Rel.
"You okay?" He said making eye contact. Rel snapped back to reality squeezing his hand, which was still intertwined in theirs.
"Yeah..., jus—"
"Your majesty there you are" Calvin and Cameron ran up to them and Rel quickly broke the hold of Scott's hand.
"We found the inn, you will be staying next to Lady Katherine and Professor Gemini. The balcony's are connected for your room. Is that okay, Your majesty?" Calvin said, while Cameron stood next to him. Scott looked at Rel, who nodded their acceptance.
"Let's go" Scott said waving the guards to lead the way.

AN: Hey Y'all! This chapter took a long time to write (mostly on the plane) but it is finally done. I am working on the next chapter now although i'm not sure if it will be the wedding chapter just yet. I think I may have a filler in between. Also I am thinking about bringing Lily back into the story. Where do you think you want to see her. I realize that Gem is not a professor in Empires but I thought that it fit her whole bookish fantasy aesthetic. Love Y'all!

~Syre 🧜🏻‍♀️