Chap eight

After two days was his eleventh birthday .
They didn't celebrate birthdays in the orphanage.

" That girl isn't normal ".
Hissed his pet snake.

" Who ". He asked.

" Rar or what's her name the girl next door she , she unnerves me "

" You and the entire population who know her". He said.

His birthday was near the end of December .
It was Christmas break , he hated Christmas not because he wasn't allowed any gifts he didn't care of that but because of the cheery atmosphere that shouldn't have been there .
There was a knock on his door.
No one came near Toms room , the caretaker yelled up the stairs for him so there was only one person.

" Come in ". He called.

Rarba appeared in the door way.

" Christmas ". She said cheerily.
Here we go again he thought another Christmas addict.
" Don't you hate it ". She finished her voice losing the cheerfulness.
He looked at her in suprise , he didn't think she hated it.

" Why ". He asked.

" They do it to celebrate Chrits birth , why should i be happy when i grew up forbidden to enter a holy place . Plus i was always sent upstairs in my house on Christmas ". She said frowning from the memory she stared out his window and stared at her house.
He didn't know that even him wasn't sent upstairs on Christmas . She was a whole new mystery for him.
There was much much he didn't know of her.

" So do you like get gifts here ". She asked him.

" Sure not the naughty kids". He told her.
She laughed.

" So word on the street is that your birthday is near".

" 31st of December ".

" On new years eve ". She told him.

He nodded.

" I'm on the first of January".

" First day of the new year". He told her she nodded.

Her eyes went to the floor where his pet snake was making his way towards him.

" She's not in her".

But he stopped when he saw Rarba looking at him.
Her eyes were unnerving it was as if they could pierce your soul and look through you.

---------

It was the night of his birthday two more minutes until midnight and it'd be officially his birthday.
There was a knock on his door .
" Come in ". He called.
Rarba peeked and came in smiling at him.
She had two cupcakes in her hands and held by her elbows was what looked like a present .
He stood and took the box from her and set it down.
" What's all this ". He asked her.
" It's your birthday silly".

" I don't celebrate birthdays".

" Well you do now ".

She handed him one cupcake it was iced and had a candel on it.
She set down her cupcake and they both sat on his bed.
It groaned and went down from there weight.
She looked at the time it was officially midnight.
She lit his candle and whispered .
" Make a wish ".
The candel and the moonlight was the only thing that provided moonlight.
And staring at her now it truly did feel magical , her eyes sparkled under the moonlights whisps of her hair moved from the December cold night.
Her lips were turned up a bit blue and her cheeks were flushed from the cold.
He wished for another life a life where he and Rarba could sit like this but with better circumstances a place where not death and misery brought them together a place so magical he could not even imagine and he blew the candle.
The light blew out and smoke flew away .
The moonlight was the only thing that provided light .
He saw Rarba bite into her cupcake he did the same.
He was never one for sweets and sugar the same couldn't be said for Rarba.
Her eyes closed as icing covered her lips she finished it and licked her lips.

" Sugar was the only sweet thing in my life ". She murmed to him.

She handed him the box.
He looked at it , and took it from her hands.
He took of the wrapper careful not to tear it , the wrapper was the colour green.
He opened the box and inside lay a book a copybook.
He took it out it was made of real leather of the colour brown he flipped through it, it was filled with blank parchment papers .
It seemed special.
" It's special , my grandfather gave it to me before his death said it comes from a different world a world where almost everything is different.  Told me to be patient that i would be part of it . He warned me against marrying someone normal but Grandpa was crazy . Said he bought it from a dark place that sell all kinds of special junk . I like books and i always carry my own so this is for you Thomas pour your soul into it ".

And in the future that one saying would stick with him and to Tom that book was a special magical book the first signs of a better future and the girl that brought it.