»𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 - 22«

"You think you love me but the truth is you are just infatuated with me."

●○●

The Next Day

"Baba... you scared me so much. I thought you'd leave me like mama."
Sitting beside Mr. Quraish, Azeen said while sniffing whereas Fawad stood behind her.

Today morning by the grace of Allah, Mr. Quraish regained consciousness. Although he was still weak, he was a lot better than before.

"I kept on recalling the hurtful words I told you."
She further said,
"You know I ... I didn't mean them. Whatever I said... about hating you, I didn't mean them. I was just angry and-"

"Azeen! You don't need to say anything, I know you didn't mean them."
Squeezing her hand, Mr. Quraish said.
"And my daughter, don't blame yourself for my condition. Whatever happened it wasn't your fault. In fact, I'm glad that you opened up to me."

"Still I-"
Azeen was cut off by her father.

"I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry for not understanding you, for not being there for you. I'm sorry for everything."
Gulping slowly, he said as his eyes began to get teary.

"Baba, don't cry."
She said as her own eyes began to get teary.

"I'm sorry for not being the father you deserve."
Looking at her eyes he said guiltily.

"Don't say that. I didn't do anything to deserve to call your daughter."
Her chin trembled as she tried to fight back the tears.

Her father was about to deny it but she stopped him before continuing.
"Let bygones be bygones. You are here... with me. And that's all that matters."

"I love you, my precious daughter. I always have."
It was the first time Mr. Quraish expressed himself in front of her.

Azeen let out a sob. Leaning in she put her arms around him before whispering,
"I love you too, Baba."

Mr. Quraish put his arms around her as Azeen rests her head on his shoulder. Both cried as they continued to hold each other.

The last time Mr. Quraish hugged his daughter was when she was little and she came to him asking him to put her to sleep.

It was ironic that he felt the exact same way. It felt like little Azeen had a bad dream and she came to him asking her to put her to sleep.

Azeen didn't realize how much she missed her father until he held her. As she felt her father kissing the top of her head she realized that she might just have got her father back.

Giving space to reconcile the father-daughter Fawad went out of the room.

●○●