CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE

One week later...

"Dada is coming back,dada is coming back"she sang happily running round the sitting room with her barbie girl toy.

Her mother didn't say anything to her. She won't blame her because her father is always traveling and never stays at home. He is a custom and also a business tycoon.

"Maa,dada is coming home today koh?"she questioned for the hundredth time today. Her mother rolled her eyes and heaved a long sigh.

"Yes,he is coming home today"her mother replied and she yelled making her mother to shut her ears.

Maryam reached for her mother's phone and handed it over to her. Her mother looked at the phone then back to her daughter with a confused look.

"Call dada"

This is the fifth time she is asking her to call dada for her and she is tired.

"Your dada will be back"she hid the phone behind her back on the cushion and focused her eyes on the TV.

Maryam ran off to where nanna was to disturb,her mother sighed and muttered under her breath. "Finally"

It was 3pm and Maryam was getting worried because her dad isn't back yet not only Maryam but even her mother wondered where he had gone to. He was supposed to be back by 10am and now 5 hours have passed and he is nowhere to be seen.

She had tried phoning him,the call will go through but he won't pick up. She got fed up of trying to call him up and threw the phone away.

She slouched herself into the couch. Nanna entered the living room with Maryam who was crying.

Her mother looked up and collected Maryam from her hands. She tried to shush her up but she cried even louder. Maryam kept on crying saying her dada's name.

The door bell rang and Maryam kept quite. She had thought it was her dada. Her mother found it bizarre for her husband to ring the bell,he don't even knock talk less of ringing the bell.

And at that moment she knew he wasn't the one. Slowly,she kept Maryam on the couch and went to open the door.

To her surprise,it was her husband's chauffeur. She faked a smile at him to hide her disappointment before ushering him in.

He denied saying he came to drop something off. He handed her over a brown envelope and said. "From Alhaji"and left without waiting for her to say anything.

A genuine smile appeared on her lips as she open the envelope.

"He sent me a letter to inform me about him not able to come back home today"Maryam reached for the envelope and snatched it away.

"Is it my gift from dada?"her mother shook her head at her daughter's stubborn behaviour. She collected the envelope from her and said.

"Yes"was the only reply she gave her and went on to read the envelope.

Dear Halima.

I'm sorry to say but I won't be able to come home today.

She wiped off a year that slipped down her cheeks.

Nor in the future. You won't see me ever again Halima. I'm tired of this fake relationship.