C2 - A Date?!

"Go on a date with me?" I muttered.

   The words came out small and slightly inaudible. I was almost sure that Hunter hadn't heard them.

   "Sorry?"

   "A date," I repeated.

   Hunter looked down from the armchair at me. His face was occupied by an unreadable expression. It looked kind of confused.

   "You know what? It's fine," I disregarded. "It was a stupid question, you don't have to answer."

   I pulled my knees to my chest awkwardly and wrapped my arms around them. Way to go. Scare him away why don't you?

   After a minute of silent pity-partying from me, Hunter spoke up. "I'll do it."

   "What?" I choked out, surprised at the sudden break of quiet.

   "I'll go on a date with you," Hunter specified. "You seem okay, so I don't see why not."

   A wave of relief washed over me. "Okay. Yeah, cool," I breathed out.

   Hunter smiled at me. "Well, where do you wanna go? Surely you didn't ask me out without a plan, right?" Hunter asked. I remembered the tickets in my back pocket.

   "Um," I started," I have these tickets to the yearly Boiling Aisles festival. Would you go with me to that?"

   Hunter chuckled. "Sounds great," he said. Then, after a moment, he added with a frown, "But I don't know how to keep in contact with you. I don't have a scroll or crystal ball."

   I felt my heart sink a little. Just a little. It jumped back up right after. "That's okay!" I assured. "We can send letters to each other."

   "Hm, alright, Edric," He said, standing up from the armchair. I watched him walk over to the front desk and grab some pencils and paper. He wrote something on it before walking back over to me. "Here," he offered the paper and I took it. "It's my address. The paper is specialized with a charm, so when you finish writing the letter, just call out my palismen's name and it'll come to get it."

   I looked at the piece of paper in my hand. "Cool," I stated. "What's your palismen's name?"

   Hunter responded absently. "Flapjack. He's a red cardinal with a scar on his eye. You'll know him when you see him."

   I smiled and stood up beside Hunter when the library's intercom went off. "Dear library-goers, the boiling rain has finally started to stop, and we deem it safe enough for you all to travel home. Safe travels!"

   I grinned at Hunter. "I'll write to you later then?"

   "I'll be waiting," said Hunter. We both started to walk out of the library and went our separate ways. I folded the piece of paper and put it into my back pocket where the two festival tickets also were.

   When I finally got home, I went to knock on Emira's door. I stood there for a moment, waiting for an answer. "Guess she's not home," I pointed out to myself. "I suppose I'll just have to wait to rub my new date in her face," I smirked and made my way to my bedroom. I plopped onto my bed face down and dropped the piece of paper—the one with Hunter's address—on my bedside table.