Chapter 27

Season 2, Episode 4: Mutagen Man Unleashed

"Super! Robo! Mecha! Force! Five! Team! Five! Go!" The cartoons screen from the tv shout.

Ruby and Raph raise an eyebrow at the show Nova and Mikey were watching.

"What the heck is this nonsense? It's terrible!" Raph asked.

"Terribly awesome! I found these old tapes in a dumpster." Mikey retorts before picking up a crate full of tapes.

"This looks like a Voltron knockoff." Ruby said shaking her head.

"Tapes?" Raph asked as Mikey stood to his feet and rushing to them with the crate of tapes.

"Check it out." Mikey said showing the crate to Ruby and Donnie.

"Dude, this is awful. And you guys complained about space heroes." Leo snickers.

"They look like they were made by a similar company. Oh how far animation has come." Ruby says wistfully while Nova continued to watch the show to the very end.

"Their lips don't even match what they're saying! I could never watch a show this bad! And neither should you Nova!" Raph said rushing over to Nova and picking her up by her under arms and carrying her away.

"This show will rot your brain, then you'll be like Mikey." Raph told Nova placing her so she was on his shell.

"But it was getting to the good part. Please, just watch a few minutes with me." Nova begs giving her older brothers puppy dog eyes.

Ruby could tell the boys would enjoy this show if they sat down to watch. 

*

Ruby watches amused as the boys minus Mikey watch the show awestruck with Nova.

"There are too many of them, captain!" Zee says on Tv.

"So she's the princess of an entire planet?" Raph asks Nova who nods her head eagerly, "Cool."

"Yep, and she also pilots the robot's left leg. She rules! But that scientist dude made the robot." Mikey explained.

It was moments like these that reminded Ruby that despite the way they seemed to be constantly fighting some form of enemy, that her sons were still children, teens really, but nonetheless they still have a child hood they needed to live. Ruby was determined to let them have said childhood.

Ruby snaps out of her daydream and sees Donnie heading into the lab.

Ruby follows behind him smiling at the pictures hanging up on Donnie's lab walls.

Her eyes stopping on one of her, Nova, Splinter, and the boys.

"What am I to April anyway? I'm worse than a nerd. I'm a freak! We're all total and complete frea-" Donnie takes note of Ruby and Timothy staring at him in alarm.

"Sorry, Mom, Timothy." Donnie feeds Timothy who stares at him sympathetically. "Doesn't matter anyway. April blames us for her dad's mutation." Donnie says staring sadly down at the picture of him and April.

"Which is all types of bull." Ruby whispers to Timothy who nods in agreement.

"I have to find an antidote. A retro-mutagen! And pretty soon you won't have to be a barely sentient glob of intestinal goo any longer." Donnie told Timothy getting to work.

Timothy and Ruby eye the picture of Donnie and April.

"How far you are willing to go for this ungrateful crack pot surprises me." Ruby says.