16 | Blindsided

-Maya-

I park the car in front of a small coffee show near town's square.
I hear a bell ring above my head while I walk in.

"Hello there ma'am" a young man says to me with a smile.
"Hi, can I get a hot chocolate please?" "Coming right up!" He responds with ease.

I stare around the shop while I hear the man making my cup behind the counter.
"One hot chocolate for a beautiful young lady." He says, sliding the cup across the counter.

"You're too kind. How much?" I ask. "It's on the house." I give the man a questioning look but he just smiles and pushes the cup towards me again.

I thank him and go find a empty table to sit at.
When I sit, I drink the hot chocolate while I let my fingers roam around the wooden table.

The fight replays in my mind while I hear Noah's voice vibrate against my brain, giving me a headache.

"How long are you going to stay here?" The young man asks me.
"Not long, I was only going to stay here for a few minutes." "It's been 2 hours."

I look at my watch and he was right. I must've lost track of time.
"I'm sorry." "Don't apologize, I don't mind you staying." The young man flirts.

I chuckle to myself while he takes the empty seat in front of me.
"What's your name?" He asks. "Maya, and yours sir?" "Marco."

I smiled at Marco before bringing the cup of hot chocolate to my lips. I watch as Marcos eyes follow my movements, landing on my lips while they wrap around the lid on the cup.

"I must get going, I have to get my daughter from my annoying older brother."
"A daughter? Is she as lovely as her mother?" He asks.
I feel blood rush to my cheeks. "She's amazing, but she's more like her father when it comes to her personality."

"Is the father around?" He asks while leaning in his chair.
"He is."
Marco nods his head while staring outside the window.

"Thank you for the great conversations." I say before standing up and taking my drink with me.

"Wait!" I hear behind me. I turn and see Marco running towards me.
"I never got your number." "You never asked."

What the fuck.
Maya stop. This isn't right. You have a daughter and lover waiting for you.

Marco takes his phone from his pocket and opens his contacts app.
I take his phone and put my number in.

"I gotta go, bye." I say quickly to leave the situation.
I quickly drive away from the coffee shop.

When I park in front of my brothers home, I question myself and my previous decision.

I open my door to be greeted by Noah playing with Luna in the front yard.
He runs with her attached to his back. Her laughs mix with his laughs as they fall on the ground.

"Be careful." I join in. Noah looks at me but turns back to Luna after a second.
"Mommy!" Luna runs up to me and wraps her arms around my legs.

"Dinner is ready." Chloe comes outside.
"Take Luna, I need to talk to Noah." I say. Chloe comes to pick Luna up and takes her back inside.

Noah and I both stay silent, not even giving each other a glance.

"I think this was a mistake." I break the silence.
"What was a mistake?" "Us. Thinking we could go back to how things used to be."

Noah stays silent but he finally looks up at me.
"We're blinded by our past and our daughter to realize that this could never work, at least not how it used to."

Noah just stares at me. He doesn't move nor does he speak.
The silence cuts me inside because I need him to know that this can't happen.

"You just wanna give up?" He finally says. "I'm not saying I want to give up-." "No you are. That's exactly what you're saying." Noah cuts me off.

"We can't trust each other." I say. "What do you mean?"
"You can't get over the fact that I left. How are you supposed to trust me if you can't move on from that?" I respond.

Noah finally gets up from the ground.
"Fine. I'm not gonna fight for whatever this is anymore if you can't see it."
Noah starts walking to the house. "Noah wait." I call for him.

"No Maya. You made it perfectly clear on what we are. You gave up before even giving us a chance. Before giving our family a chance!" He's obviously upset.
"We're Lunas parents, that's it. We're not her married parents, we're just her parents."

He walks into the house and I take in his words. Her parents, nothing more.

Thank you for reading today's chapter

Before you start crying or getting mad at me, I will confirm that this story does have a happy ending, but there will be obstacles for Maya and Noah to get there!

I hope you enjoyed today's chapter. Stay healthy and safe, I love you babes. -R. <3

 <3