19 | Silencing the voices

-Noah-

My phone rings in my pocket while me and Maya have our eyes locked on each other.
I reach inside my pocket, not moving my other hand away from Maya's chin or breaking our eye contact.

"Hello?" I answer and put the phone on speaker.
"Hey handsome! I made dinner tonight if you'd like to come over." A friend of mine says over the phone.
Maya's eyes immediately shift to my phone.

"That sounds lovely. I'll be right over." I hang up.
"Who was that?" Maya asks. "A friend. She's special."
I can tell from the look in Maya's eyes that I hit a nerve.

I grab my keys and start walking towards the front door.
"You can't have nothing to do with me you know."
I turn back to face Maya. "What?"
"We have Luna. I understand that I messed things up but for now, please be decent around her. For her."

I nod my head to Maya, agreeing to her terms. We might not be together but we can be mature adults.

*

I knock on the door of my friends apartment.
"Noah!" She opens the door and tugs me into a quick, tight hug.

"Amelia, you look fantastic." I pull away and brush my hand down her shoulder.
"You don't look so bad yourself. Please, come in."

"You made all of this?" I ask Amelia about the delicious meal on display.
"Don't be fooled, the sides were takeout."
A loud laugh erupts from my chest as I throw my head back.

"You never fail to surprise me." I say as I take a seat at the dinner table.
"I do have one last surprise." Amelia says as she walks behind me. "What is it?" I ask. Amelia rubs her palms against my shoulders, giving me a nice massage.

"I think dinner can wait." Amelia says before connecting our lips together.

-Maya-

I peak inside Lunas room to check on her. She's sound asleep and I close the door while leaving a small part open incase anything happens.

I throw myself on the couch, hearing footsteps coming from the hallway.
"Maya, thanks for saying hi." Elena comes from behind the dark hallway.

"Elena, I'm sorry I didn't say hi to begin with." I respond. "I know, you're such a bitch for that." Elena says. We share a laugh together before she comes and sits beside me.

"What's wrong?" She asks. "Nothings wrong." "Liar." Elena moves closer.
"Spill, now." She sounds like a intimidating mother.

"Me and Noah are just having some issues, that's all." I tell her. "Sounds like more than 'some' issues." Elena responds.
"I think coming back wasn't the best idea. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that Luna is spending time with Noah and that he's happy with her but I don't think we're happy."

"You both seem to focus on each other's past issues. You both lied to each other and can't seem to look past it." Elena says.
"What can we do though? We hurt each other so much that we've damaged ourselves." I respond.

"Have you ever thought of actually trying to fix it between you both? Not just for Luna because I can tell she's the glue to both of you but for everything as well?" Elena asks. "What do you mean?" I ask.
"Damn you're so stupid." Elena takes a huge sigh before continuing.

"You and Noah are like ticking bombs. You both have done so much to each other that now it's like every time you see each other you both explode." As I try to talk, Elena raises her finger and stops me.
"But you've also been each other's salvation. I haven't seen Noah happy since he's been with you, and he was happy with you when you came back. Now it's like he's slowly draining and so are you, and yet you don't even realize it."

All I can do is sit in silence and sink Elena's words in.
"I'm not gonna force you to get back together with him, but I know deep down you're telling yourself a lie just to keep things safe when you're putting pride over your own happiness."
"What if things don't work out again?" I ask.
"But what if they do!" Elena responds, trying to boost my already tired self.

"Stop being a little bitch about things and actually do what's right!" Elena gives me a small push. I smile to myself knowing I should. She's right, though I hate it.
I do still have feelings for Noah, there's no doubt about that. I've felt a missing piece when he's gone, and my body heats up when he's near. That should've been the message I listened to in the beginning.

But the worst happened behind me.
Gunshots go through the living room windows, catching me and Elena off guard.

Thank you for reading today's chapter.

So we have Maya actually working for Noah, As she should!
But we do need some drama because what is a mafia book without violence and drama??

I hope you enjoyed today's chapter. Stay healthy and safe, I love you babes. -R. <3

 <3