23 | Our confessions

-Noah-

I drive to the nearest park, and we take a nice walk along the bridge before we reach the park.

Maya let's Luna run around the park while we watch from a distance.
"So, what was the reason for this family time?" I ask Maya. "I wanted it." She responds dryly.

"I think there's more to the story." I lower my tone. "Maybe this isn't the place to tell." She sends me a look that tells me to be on my best behavior.

I take a risk and wrap my hands around her waist, pulling her close to my chest.
"You're doing too much." She says. "It's cold outside. I'm just keeping us warm." I whisper against her neck.

Maya places her hands over mine and leans back against my chest. I probably shouldn't be doing this. This is wrong.
But it feels so fucking right.

I hear a sudden bark to my left, and I look over to see a store selling different breeds of dogs.
"Daddy look! Doggies!" Luna runs up to Maya and I cheerful.
"I see princess." I respond.

Luna stares at the dogs in awe.
"She's been wanting a Alaskan Husky since she was 4." Maya whispers to me.
I nod at Maya. I look back at the group of dogs in the gate.

"Do you want one?" I ask Luna. She repeatedly nods her head, making me chuckle.
I interlock my hand with her, and we walk together to the dogs.

"Excuse me sir?" I ask the salesman. "Hi! How can I help you?" "I was wondering if you have any Alaskan Husky's?" I ask.
"We have 2, but they are very expensive." He responds. "How much?" "$800." "We'll take 1."

The salesman takes a puppy sized dog from the cage. The fur is mixed with grey, white, and black.
"What would you like to name the little man?" The salesman asks. I turn to Luna, silently asking for her opinion. "Buddy!" She cheers out.

"Buddy it is." I tell the salesman. He finishes the paperwork and hands us a leash and collar. Luna takes Buddy and carries him back to the park.

I see Maya slowly walking back towards me. I meet her halfway.
"Thank you." She says. "For?" "The puppy. That was very charming of you."
Charming? That's new.

"Maya?" I hear a voice call beside me.
Maya and I both turn and see the same man who came to my office.

"Marco, hi!" Maya responds. "I haven't seen you since you came to the coffee shop." "I've been busy." She gives a basic response.

"What are you doing here?" Marco asks. I could ask him the same thing.
"I'm here with my family." "Oh, I would love to meet them!" He says.
Hell no.

"Well, this is Noah, my..." Maya's voice drifts away for a sudden moment.
"My boyfriend." I'm taken aback with her answer.
"Nice to meet you man." Marco holds out his hand like I've never shaken it before.
I shake his hand once then quickly back away.

"We're here with our daughter." Maya tells Marco.
"Oh, so this is?..." Marco points to me, and Maya nods.
"Got it." Marco puts his hands in his pockets. He looks defeated, and I'm slightly amused.

"We must get going. I wouldn't want you or Luna to get a cold." I turn to Maya. She nods to me and says her goodbye to Marco.
I interlock our hands as we go get Luna and Buddy before we return to the car.

*

I sit beside Luna on the couch as she holds Buddy in her lap while we watch tv.
"What are we feeling for dinner?" Maya comes from behind and asks both Luna and I.
"Pizza!" Luna cheers out. Maya turns to me, and I just nod, agreeing with Luna.