Chapter 6 - Homecoming Part I

"Hey. You ready?" Cameron asked when he picked me up at my house on Friday for Homecoming.

"Let's just go," I said, really not in the mood. This whole Skyler thing has me stressed out. On the bright side, maybe I can forget about him tonight. I'm wearing a strapless pink lace dress and black sneakers. I'm not going to wear heels.

As I closed the door behind me, I felt Cameron's hand brush my arm and make it's way down to my hand. He intertwined our hands together and I wondered if Mariah and Cameron could be a thing. It probably could, if I wanted it to.

"You look stunning," he said, completely out of breath from astonishment.

"Yeah. You too," I replied.

"Is something wrong? Is it me?" He asked quietly and started to let go of my hand.

"What? No! No...I'm sorry. Things haven't been the best lately...but it's not you. I promise," I replied quickly and held onto his hand tighter.

Homecoming was in the gym. It had a Masquerade Ball theme, so they gave us masks at the entrance. "Love Me Like You Do" by Ellie Goulding was blasting through the speakers.

Almost everyone was unidentifiable, except one person - Skyler Gisondo.

Now, I'm not the type of girl that would just let it pass because it might ruin our relationship. I mean, if you let it pass it already is ruining your relationship.

I walked up to Skyler, took off his mask, and practically yelled over the music, "Who was that girl who picked up your phone yesterday?"

Skyler had a blank face and yelled back, "What are you talking about?"

"Oh so you have random girls picking up your phone in their cute little voices everyday, is that right?"

Skyler took my hand and dragged me out of the gym. I tried to force him to let me go, but he wouldn't and his grip just got tighter and tighter...

We made our way through the cafeteria, hallway, and to the science lab. He shut the door and let me go. I knew better than to try to escape. There is no escaping the truth.

"Mariah, it's not what you think...," he started.

"My date is probably looking for me," I cut him off.

"Please, just hear me out...I don't have random girls picking up my phone. I'm not that kind of person. That was Abigail West...my manager...," he explained.

The wave of guilt washed over me. Of course. He was an actor. He would have a manager.

"Oh my god...I'm so sorry I jumped on you like that...," I said quietly.

"Hey...," Skyler wrapped his arms around me. "It's technically my fault I didn't tell you."

"But it's not your fault I lashed out."

"That's true. But you're Mariah Morris. Anything can happen..."

I laughed a bit at that. And we stayed like this for what seemed like forever. With my arms wrapped around his neck and his arms wrapped around my back...

Author's Note:

Next time on Marler -
"I don't feel anything when I'm with you...I'm sorry."

"He just asked me out..."
"Oh..."

"Mariah. I wouldn't have let you go to Homecoming if I knew you were going with him."

Xoxo,

Grace